Where do I start. Huge chlorine demand problem. High phosp

May 19, 2012
Where do I start lol.

I opened my pool 5 days ago and cannot keeps chlorine level for more than. 12 hours. I've shocked with 2 gallons of 12% bleach from the pool store and after about 8 hours I got no chlorine readings either on my strips or Leslie's testing that they do in the store. I then added 2 gallons of unscented 6% bleach. I've watched over the last 8 hours As the chlorine levels go down. I then had Leslie's do a phosphate test. My test came back at 2500. They had me get phos free. Against my better judgement and the fact that I have a newborn infant at home, I didn't have time to research other options. The phos free started clogging my DE Filter. I had to end up back washing it, completely flushing it out of my filter. What are my options here.

My levels that they wrote down are these:
FC 4
Alkalinity 80
Cya 28
PH 7.2
Hardness was in range. Didn't have a number
And total chlorine was not documented
As I said earlier, phosphate level was 2500

I have a 7500-10000 gallon in ground pool. It came with my house havent been able to determine the actual size. It's a kidney shaped pool.

Re: Where do I start. Huge chlorine demand problem. High pho

This is a short list of what to do if you want to take control and save money. Others will add more detail.

1. Order a good test kit
2. Read Pool School ( upper right of page) a few times.
3. With your new kit and knowledge, follow the shock process.
4. Save money by only putting stuff in you pool it NEEDS and not what the pool store wants to sell you.

See my signature for links ... the TF100 kit is highly recommended.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Re: Where do I start. Huge chlorine demand problem. High pho

Avoid PhosFree, it isn't worth the expense, and isn't required.

From your description it sounds like you aren't using enough chlorine. Take a look at the How To Shock Your Pool article in Pool School. That calls for raising the pool back up to shock level as frequently as hourly, especially at the start.

Having a good test kit will make this process much much simpler. There is no substitute for knowing what your levels are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.