Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Passed OCLT, water is clear, what's next?

1. Back To Top    #1

Passed OCLT, water is clear, what's next?

I passed the OCLT and the water is finally clear. I just tested and got the following:

FC: 7.5
    CC: 0
    PH: 6.8
    TA: 140
    CYA: 20
    CH: 70
    Salt: 2220

I'm going to retest the CYA tomorrow. I was getting a much higher number before but my water was also very cloudy. Now that it's clear I got a reading of around 20. I actually filled the tube but could still barely see the black dot. I was getting a higher number on the salt also. I did have to vacuum a lot to waste to clear the water up and replace with fresh water so that could be the reason CYA and salt dropped as well. I'm really struggling to keep the PH up. I've been using borax to increase it but it falls back down after a day or two. What should I do next?
    15' x 30' x 52" Oval AGP; 1hp Hayward Powerflo LX Pump; Hayward Sand Filter; 4 2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels; Compupool CPSC36 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Passed OCLT, water is clear, what's next?

VERY unusual to have falling pH. How have you been chlorinating? SWG? Use 20 Mule Team Borax to raise pH to 7.4 and then keep it above 7.00 regardless of how much Borax it takes.

Cloudy pool water typically does not interfere with CYA test....how much CYA did you put in?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I've been using the SWG and bleach to shock, mostly bleach. I've been using the 20 mule team borax but will add more tonight. I put 7 pounds of stabilizer in the pool back in April. I've been working at it for about a month now to get it cleaned up. I would say I have replaced about 25% total of the water through backwashing and vacuuming to waste since the CYA and salt was added. Most of it was replaced in the last week.
    15' x 30' x 52" Oval AGP; 1hp Hayward Powerflo LX Pump; Hayward Sand Filter; 4 2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels; Compupool CPSC36 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Your CYA test is lower probably because you have replaced so much water.

I still find it VERY odd that your pH is dropping. Bring it back up and keep us posted. I think you will find that it will stabilize.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

pH is always first - it can damage metal things like heaters. It needs to come up. You could try borax but looking at the numbers, I'd say some vigorous aeration would do the job. This article has some links that show aerators. Then worry about CYA, it's too low for a SWG. You'll burn out the cell trying to keep up with the sunlight losses.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a small submersible pump that can connect to a garden hose. I'll pick up a cheap sprinkler at Wal-Mart to have on hand in case the pH drops again. I can just sit it on the deck and let it spray back into the pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

I tested this morning and got this:

FC: 9.5 - SWG ran last night
    CC: 0
    PH: 8.0
    TA: 150
    CYA: 40

CYA tested a little higher this morning.