Need advice on pump and filter

May 17, 2012
Dunn, NC
Hi. I am about to become a first time pool owner and have been reading up on pumps and filters to determine what I need to purchase for my pool. I have acquired a 13ft. by 25.5ft. Splash Superpool which holds 10600 gallons of water. I wanted to know if the Pentair Dynamo 3/4 hp 2 speed pump and the Pentair Clean & Clear cc200 cartridge filter system are suitable for my size pool and compatible with each other? I'm wondering if the cc200 filter is overkill, cause I sure would rather get a smaller filter and use the difference toward purchasing the salt water system. Also, are both of these able to be used with a salt water system? Thanks to any advice!!

I think both the pump and filter are close to perfect for that size pool. You want the filter over sized so you don't have to clean it so often and you want the pump undersized so you don't have to pay a lot to run it. If you wanted to downsize the filter a little, 150 sq-ft is about as small as I would go with that size pool. The Dynamo will produce around 45 GPM on typical AG plumbing which would be about a 4 hour turnover. The only exception would be if you are planning to run solar on a two story house, then I might increase the size a little on the Dynamo.

But you might want to look at some of the combo units because the pricing is a little better than buying them separately. The Pentair PNCC0150OF2160 or PNCC0200OP2160 are good choices for your size pool.

BTW, welcome to the forum

Thanks for your info. I don't foresee wanting to run solar but that is something to consider. I had looked at the combo units, but wanted to save on energy costs also. From what some on here have said it is better to go with less hp if it is enough to do the job than to go with more than enough.

That is true but you have to balance that with the cost of the equipment. Over the lifetime of the pump, it might not matter much. Plus most of the savings of the pump will come from running on low speed.

What if there won't be much difference in cost of equipment though? Which is the best pump filter combo for electrical costs? Again, I have a 10,600 gallon above ground pool. I can get the Pentair Clean and Clear 200sq.ft. 2 hp 2 speed pump combo(PNCC0200OP2160) or buy seperately the Pentair Dynamo 3/4 hp 2 speed pump and a Pentair Clean and Clear 200 sq. ft. cartridge filter for about $12 more. Which way should I go? Something I might should add, though it may not matter, is that in a couple of years I may be interested in getting a hot tub but, I don't know if that would need a seperate pump for itself or if they can use the same one? Please, anyone feel free to offer advice cause I am out of my element with this pool stuff. I just don't want to end up regretting my decisions.

In that case, it probably makes more sense to get the separate pump and filter. Usually, there is a much bigger price difference. Normally, the Optiflo comes with the Clean and Clear so make sure that the Dynamo will work as well. Where ever you are buying it should be able to tell you. The Optiflo is also a good pump so that is another option.

Also, if you are planning to get a stand alone hot tub, it will come with it's own pumps and circulation system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.