Above Ground Pool Project Thread

Thanks for the suggestion. I will work on it tonight and see how it goes. Also thanks for telling me to wait till the pool is almost full before cutting the holes for the skimmer and returns - I was going to do that in the next day or so. :shocked:

Ok so some questions... The liner is a beaded liner. It has a seam running around the pool at the cove. It has a seam on one side at the center of the long side and then it has 4 seams running across the floor. When we installed it, I did my best to make sure the seam on the wall was lined up with the center of one wall and that the lines on the floor were straight. I can move the liner around pretty easily with a push broom. Now I have most of the wrinkles out on the floor out, but some don't stay out unless I am pulling with the push broom. Does this mean I have to be tugging on the liner as I fill the pool with water? Next, on one side at the turn it looks like there is too much liner - just above the berm the liner sort of droops over itself. Should I pull some back to the other side to pull that out, or does that mean it isn't quite centered? Also, there is 2" or so of air between the wall and the liner, is that a problem and should it be vacuumed out? My reading says it won't be an issue but....

can u take a few pictures? the few little wrinkles might stay out of the bottom with the first inch or two of water but any more than that gets very very hard to work with because of weight. the air between the wall and liner will get pushed out as it fills. Are you sure the sand is level and flat? The liner on my pool had to be pulled up and ovet the top of the wall and then black locating strips were snapped on (which had to be repositioned a lot as the pool filled) and then when EVERYTHING was finished and assembeled I trimed the extra off, so for me, the seams didnt really matter as long as they were ball park.

Pics. I was out there again but realized I was just kind of pushing the liner around without really doing much. I think the one side is just too much liner on that side of the pool and I need to pull it back across some.

The really bad spot:
100_0387.JPG

100_0386.JPG

Ok - yours has that border that you are trying to have even at the top rail.... mine didn't. Leave it clipped in as you have it and start filling. As the water rises keep pulling up on the liner. If the top of the border ends up rising above the lip then I don't think that can be helped, but I really think that if the liner was made correctly and you have all of the wrinkles out of the bottom then is HAS to even itself out all the way up.

Thanks. I think I am going to have to get in and pull some of the excess across the pool to even it out as best I can, then start filling and pulling. I think my mistake was being a little too aggressive and pulling the wrinkle out by moving too much liner to one side.

I think you are right crokett. Snug some of the excess up against the other wall and you should be fine.

Thanks. It became clear to me when we were putting the wall up that I really didn't know what I was doing. So I figured I'd just make sure on the liner. We are going out of town Wednesday so I am going to try and get some water in the pool tomorrow. If it rains I don't want it to rain with the liner still wrinkled.

On mine I was able to move it some with an inch of water in it. I still have some wrinkles, it's tough to get them all out on a large oval pool and I doubt the liner is perfectly sized. Some wrinkles don't affect much, more aesthetics than anything. Waiting to cut the holes is a must or you'll be kicking yourself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whelp not sure this is the right way to do it, but I had an off day today so I started filling the pool. I got as many wrinkles out as I could, then started filling. After it had an inch or so of water in it I climbed in and worked the remaining ones out. It is pretty good, IMO. Now I just have to start pulling on the sides to get them out as the pool fills.

I've done a few liners, I'd put my weight on the sides and use my feet the liner to where I wanted it. I couldn't figure out a better way. :-D

Whatever works. The liner will stretch quite a bit, obviously a warm sunny day makes it stretch easier.

With 4ish inches of water in the pool, the wrinkles on the sides are gone. It actually looks pretty good. There is still a lot of air behind it. Should I be sucking that out with a shop vac, or will it just work its way out on its own?

It should be fine to fill it up without the vac suction as it should stretch into place. Don't forget to post pics.

Thanks for all the help and patience. I didn't want to get stuck with a damaged liner. I will get some updated pics tomorrow. We are going out of town so I will finish filling the pool next week and get the pump hooked up. Another question.... eventually there will be a deck around the pool. Will I regret putting the pump under the deck? I'd like it to be there, otherwise the lines to the pool will block access for my generator if power goes out.

Depends on the height of the deck and type of filter. I would hate to crawl under a low deck just to bump my DE filter or empty the strainer. If it was under the deck I have then it wouldn't be so bad, mine is 5 feet off the ground in some spots. If you can put it near the edge of the deck but still under it you may not have much for issues. Spend about 15 mins in the position you would have to be under the deck, if it's annoying then avoid it.

I have started filling the pool. The liner looks really good. I should be finished this week - started last week but we were gone for a few days. The bonding wire is run. I will take pictures this weekend after the backfilling is done. Questions on the pump hookup. I will be using schedule 40 PVC and will cut in an additional return. I was planning to use a hole saw - any risk to the liner? I am planning on unions at both the pump and pool ends of the supply and return to the pool and where the pump connects to the sand filter. This way I can disconnect the lines for winter. Is this necessary, or just provide a way to drain the lines? I will also add a line to the waste port on the filter. I will have ball valves at the pump end of the supply and return. Should they go at the pool end instead? If they go at the pool, then I can close them off for winter, at least that was my thinking. Is there any reason to have check valves installed?

The Pool Is Done!

I pulled the pump circuit today and got the pump and filter plumbed in. Everything is back-filled except where the piping is. I want to make sure there are no leaks. I intended to start the pump today but life happened and I didn't finish up till dinner time. I only had to make 2 extra trips for plumbing parts but one of the trips was because a union was missing the o-ring, so that doesn't really count. :-D I also had a small adventure when I was cutting the liner to install the return fitting. I had filled the pool to 1" below the skimmer, but the return sits about 1.5" lower.... I ended up scrambling to get the return in and got an elbow stuck on it turned up. When I got ready to do the hookup, I stuffed a rag in the eyeball. That stopped it to a slow drip. The skimmer was a PITA. I had to line up both halves with the gasket and get 18 screws in. I did it all by hand - I didn't want to drop a drill in the pool. Since I dropped the screwdriver twice, I guess that was the smart thing. Tomorrow I will start up the pump and see if there are any leaks anywhere. I will also take pics, it was late today and I was beat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.