Cyanuric acid test with k-2000

jp4120

May 11, 2012
Norristown, PA
Just started testing withthis K-2006 kit after 12 yrs of only testing ph and chlorine while using a frog system with tab inserts and also adding power powder plus (cal hypo) every 2 or 3 days

Cya test - did not turn cloudy - does that mean 0? Should I try to raise?

TA=40
FC=6
CC=20

Any advice on how to handle?

Yes, you should add some CYA, but only up to around 30 for now. Then when everything is back to normal you can adjust it to it's normal level.

Your TA is too low, and when TA is low it is likely that PH is also low. Both should be adjusted into their normal range.

Between your description and your levels it seems like that your CYA gotten broken down over the winter and left behind some ammonia, which is what is causing the high CC level.

new test results and a question
FC .8 ppm - I know its low so will add a bit today
CC .2 ppm - same as 1 week ago
TA 80 ppm - last week 40 ppm - i added 7 lbs baking soda few days back
CA 190 ppm - last week 180 pmm
PH 7.6
CYA - cloudy but still can see when tube is full - what does that mean?
I added 3/4 can of Cyanuric acid from Leslies
also using left over trichlor tabs in a floater and leftover Cal-Hypo powder, have added some liquid bleach also.

any thoughts on the CYA level and how to handle?
should I shock to see if that eliminates the CC?

Your CYA test result means CYA is around 10 (give or take).

You can ignore CC when it only takes one drop of titrant to clear the CC.

Your FC level is a little too low. You don't want FC falling below 1, even with CYA that low.

You certainly need more CYA. For 26K gallons that means around 12 to 15 lbs more (though whatever you just added counts towards that).

I assume CA is really CH. For a plaster pool you want CH at 250 to 350.

By the by there is no point in doing the FC/CC test by 0.2s. Doing the test by 0.5s is plenty of precision and saves on reagents.

new test results
FC 2.6 ppm - been adding bleach 1.42 gallons every 2 or 3 days
CC .0 ppm - down from .2 1 week ago
TA 80 ppm - last week 80 ppm - i added 3 more lbs baking soda few days back
CH 180 ppm - last week 190 pmm
PH 7.6 maybe towards 7.7
CYA - 25 to 30 - added 3 more lbs of stabilizer earlier this week

looks pretty good to me.....any concerns with the TA or CH levels? and should I continue to raise the CYA to about 50?
I am also using trichlor tabs in a floater - prefer to keep a steady flow of chlorine going.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
new test results 6/9
FC 2.2 ppm - been adding bleach 1.42 gallons every 3 or 4 days plus have trichlor tabs in a floater
CC .0 ppm - 2 weeks in a row
TA 90 ppm - last week 80 ppm -
CH 180 ppm - last week 180 pmm
PH 7.8 last week 7.7
CYA - 40 last week 30 -

si = -.1 based on 78 degree water.

Questions
should I add Muriatic Acid to lower the PH a bit or leave things alone?
should I add anything to increase the CH or is it ok?

very happy with pool water quality and using the Taylor k2000 to test it myself has really worked well. Lets me know whats going on without having to get misinformation from the various pool stores.

latest test results 6/23 (I do a complete test weekly, test chlorine almost every day)

FC = 1.6 - will bring this up a bit later today/tonite
CC = 0
PH = 7.6
TA = 90
CH = 220 - up from 170 after adding calcium chloride - will add a bit more
CYA - 45

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.