Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: whats my ph

1. Back To Top    #1

whats my ph

[attachment=0:3ppjix2a]0519121457.jpg[/attachment:3ppjix2a]can you tell me were to go with this pretty blue ph test
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21 foot round above ground, 1200 gallons, 1 HP pump, 15 inch Hayward sand filter then a cart filter, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: whats my ph

From the looks of the chlorine, you're somewhere around 20 FC. Which does weird things to the pH test. Which is also why we recommend adjusting pH before shocking and then ignoring it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks I guess I should not be chasing it then, trying to shock enough to get clear opened in Feb and still not clear yet.
    21 foot round above ground, 1200 gallons, 1 HP pump, 15 inch Hayward sand filter then a cart filter, TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll bet your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level is near zero. It seems that the high Free Chlorine (FC) interference with the pH test doesn't happen very quickly when there is CYA in the water, or more technically when the active chlorine level is lower. Even our shock level recommendations with an FC that is around 40% of the CYA level is equivalent to around 0.6 ppm FC with no CYA whereas your FC with no CYA would be much much higher than that.

I'd be a little careful not to shock with too high an FC if your CYA level is truly near zero. The active chlorine level will be very high and you'll want to be careful with what I assume to be a vinyl liner for your above ground pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

I ran out of the reagent for the CYA but the pool store says it is around 25, the only other problem I have is a low TA, lowered my chlorine level and got a good reading on the PH thanks, did not know the chlorine affects the PH reading, learn some thing new every year. Thanks again

6. Back To Top    #6

Is that the color the sample turned right away, or did it start out closer to red/orange and slowly turn purple?

If you can get an accurate CYA level, that would help determine how much the FC interfered with the test.

7. Back To Top    #7

that was the immediate results the pool store says my CYS is 25

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey Ray, Keep in mind that the pool store is notoriously bad on getting the CYA test right. I'd get more CYA reagent and do your own test. Then you'll know for sure what's going on.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit