Is impeller bad

mtheaded

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 10, 2007
Lovettsville, VA
Working on my Hayward pump. Came home a couple of days ago and the pump wasn't working - just humming. Today I removed the pump from the wet end and fired it up and it works just fine. Put it back and it doesn't. Does this mean that the impeller is broken? I didn't really want to take it off until I'm sure, but from the posts I've read that sounds like the culprit. Am I on the right track here?

So I can turn the impeller freely with it back together (but not attached to the wet end). I replaced the seals and the impeller before trying this out (since I'll need them for a new motor anyway). However, when I bolt it back to the wet end and try to turn it on, it hums for a few seconds then trips the breaker (just as before). What else should I be looking at before replacing the motor (I'm not trying to repair the motor itself at this time - I am rapdily getting a swamp and will try a new motor before I try taking the existing apart) - any troubleshooting ideas for me?

Did you inspect the diffuser to make sure it wasn't interfering with the impeller anywhere. Both would probably show signs of interference. It sounds like something is binding between them.

Hey mas985!

Yes, I took them off and nothing looks out of place - no weird wear (or any wear) showing. Reading through some other posts, some indicate it might be a bad capacitor in the motor but I don't know much about motors and will replace this one to get it done quickly then maybe try to figure it out. The thing spins great until I connect to the wet end. That's my only concern - what if I put in a brand new motor and it runs great until I connect it and I see no blockages or damage?

Did the motor spin up by itself or did you manually have to start it spinning? If the later, it would be a bad capacitor otherwise it is probably not the capacitor.

Sounds like something is binding your impeller when everything is assembled. Put everything together and reach in and try to turn the impeller by hand. If it turns freely, I'm stumped. If not, you need to figure out what is interfering with your impeller.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, it was the motor. Bama, I swear the first time I tried it it spun freely but I removed it from the wet end again yesterday while waiting for the new motor to show and this time it didn't turn. New motor showed up at 4:30 and I had it installed and running again by 5:30. Looks like we will have that memorial day pool opening party after all! :cheers:

As always, thanks to everyone for your feedback and advice. I don't know how people who aren't members here can stand owning a pool. If it wasn't for this place, I think I'd fill it with dirt and make a nice croquet court! :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.