Brand new

Welcome to TFP!

Aeration will probably get your pH up. Dichlor is good to use, at least initially as it raises CYA quickly. Just be careful not to overshoot the CYA. Have you had your water tested for metals?

Aeration can be done several ways, but all of the best ones create bubbles in the water one way or another. A fountain, waterfall, return pointed up so it breaks the surface, kids splashing, and so on.

Don't leave the PH low for very long, especially if you are using dichlor (which is very acidic). I would use some soda ash or PH Up to get the PH up some right away.

Baking soda will raise TA, not pH. You can use borax, (available in stores as 20 Mule Team Borax), or soda ash, (available in stores as Arm and Hammer Super Laundry Booster {not laundry detergent}).

After 4 nights of adding 4-5 oz of dichlor, and one night of adding 62 oz of borax, here are my test results:

FC (FAS/DPD) = 6
pH = 7.0
CYA = 0!

I am reasonably intelligent, so I'm pretty sure I am following the directions correctly on the test kit (TF-100) :roll:
So why is my CYA still 0 and why hasn't my pH risen any more than it has?

And are these levels ok for swimming?

It takes about a week for CYA to register but you can assume it's in there even though it doesn't show up on the test. What dosage of dichlor did you put in and what SHOULD be your resultant CYA level?

EDIT: I see your post now that you added about 16 oz od dichlor which raises your CYA a measly 10-12ppm....nowhere near enough and one of many reasons why I never encorage the use of dichlor to raise CYA.

Go to HD, Lowe's, Pool Store and get enough CYA to get to 40ppm (30 more) and put it in your pool. It show on the test but, again, you can assume it's in there in 24 hours.

Go swimming!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.