Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Faster Dissolving Cyanuric Acid

1. Back To Top    #1
    Schnecksville, PA

Faster Dissolving Cyanuric Acid

I have 0 CYA and a DE filter I need to backwash frequently (after clearing algae on opening.)
    I just read this entire thread...
    It seems that everyone agrees that CYA takes up to a week to fully disolve (even after the initial chrystals have disolved.)

Why can't I just put the CYA chrystals in a 5 gal bucket of water, let it sit for a week, and then add it to my pool?
    Would my CYA be sufficiently "disolved" using this method?

20'x40' / 30,000 Gal / In Ground / Vinyl
    Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter / Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP Pump
    Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Propane Heater / Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TF-100 Test Kit / BBB
    Creator of SimplePool (BBB Friendly Android App)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Faster Dissolving Cyanuric Acid

If you put the CYA in a bucket of water it simply won't dissolve, even after a very long time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Faster Dissolving Cyanuric Acid

Cyanuric Acid is slow to dissolve, but exposing it to circulating water as in front of a return flow speeds up the dissolving rate. If you don't care about spending more money and just want CYA that dissolves quickly, then you can buy Natural Chemistry® Instant Pool Water Conditioner which is the sodium salt of cyanuric acid (i.e. sodium cyanurate) in a slurry so dissolves much more quickly. It's about twice as expensive as pure CYA for the same CYA level, however.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"