Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing an actuator

1. Back To Top    #1

Installing an actuator

I don't have any actuators installed and I have just two valves - one is for the skimmer/main drain and the other is for the pool jts/deck jets. I'd like to put actuators on these valves, but I'm wondering how difficult that would be to do. From the scant documentation I can find, it seems like all I do is sort of unscrew the regular valve cover and put the actuator in (overly simplified). No idea where I would hook power up in my panel though.

Anyway - the basic question is - is this something I could do myself fairly easily? (I'm pretty handy). Also, would anyone know if I could just wire these two to "valve a" and "valve b" in my ET4? The install guide says "Connect the Valve A actuator cable plug into the INTAKE (suction) 3-pin socket, and Valve B actuator cable plug into the RETURN three-pin socket on the right side of the EasyTouch circuit board" but says it can control 4 valves without any additional equipment, so that part doesn't make sense to me either.
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installing an actuator

Installing valve actuators is fairly simple, especially if you already have the ET4 setup. You remove the handle and a few screws from the existing valve, attach the actuator, screw them together, run the cable, and plug it into the ET4.

The ET4 has a total of four places your can plug in valve actuators. Which socket you plug the actuator into determines what that valve is called in the menu system.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So there is just the one socket to plug in and nothing else? You don't need to run any additional connections for power or anything?
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

4. Back To Top    #4

One cable to run from the actuator to the ET4 and that is all. The ET4 powers the actuator.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow - seems simple and easy! They're Jandy Never Lube valves - any particular actuator recommended for those?

6. Back To Top    #6

One other question along these lines...I've read that some ET4 are "single body" systems and therefore cannot control any valve actuators. First, is that the case - that a "single body" system won't control even valve a and valve b? And second, how the heck do you tell which one you have (single body or pool/spa)? The circuits are named pool and spa, but I can't tell if that's an indicator or not and the "tech" who set it up I don't think is knowledgeable enough to have changed it otherwise.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have pool and spa settings then you have the two body version. All versions will control a few actuators, but the pool/spa version can control one more valve than the single body version.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    If you have pool and spa settings then you have the two body version.
    This may not be correct. Ours is an Easytouch 4P (which is the single-body system) but it still mentions Pool and Spa circuits in the menu system. I'm pretty sure the Spa-specific functionality is disabled though.

--Michael
    Slidell, Louisiana (near New Orleans) 11,000gal kidney shaped Trilogy fiberglass pool Intelliflo VS Triton TR100 filter Easytouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG Polaris 280