Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pump Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

South Dakota

Pool Pump Cover

I have a Rule 1800 pool pump cover that doesn't pump water off the cover. When I plug it in i can hear it run for a second and periodically it will run for a second. The leaf protector is completely submerged. I took the leaf protector off and cleaned it out which wasn't clogged and I could see the impeller spin when I plugged it in.

Bad motor?
    18600 Gallon In Ground
    Vinyl liner
    Aqua Genie Skimmer/Return
    Purex Triton Challenger wet end with Emerson 2EZ Speed Two-Speed with Timer Motor 3/4HP #EB2980T
    Sta-Rite 145361 Cristal-Flo II High-Rate Sand Filter 22Inch
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Pool Pump Cover

There are two things that could be happening. First, that pump starts up for a moment and checks to see if it is pumping any water or not. If there isn't any water it will turn it's self off again. You might be mixing up the fact that it turns off automatically when it is actually working because there is no water at that particular moment. The other possibility is that the pump can no longer detect water correctly and thinks there isn't any water even when there is, in which case it needs to be replaced.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School