Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with leak

Good Morning...

Below is a picture of my location of leak. These two pipes are my returns, however I am confused as to why there is a 3 way valve here. I assume one return goes to the pool but what does the other go to?

I have never turned this valve after purchasing the house 4 years ago. Could this maybe be a valve to drain the pool?

I have a leak above this and the only way to repair is to replace the 3 way valve (a 50 dollar part) so I am wondering what purpose this is serving.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12,000 gallon in ground pool with rock and spa water fall, Jandy Aqualink Controls, Polaris Cleaner with booster, Hayward C17502 cartridge filter. Managed by a TF - 100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Help with leak

Is it leaking around that union you have covered up with black plastic?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Help with leak

Yes, but its not my black plastic, its the work of the guy before me. He used plumbers tape or something. The union is glued right up to the elbow so the only choice is to replace the whole thing. I have no idea why the guy put these in. It wasnt leaking until now so I had put the project off. Now its un avoidable.

Between the two unions sat a in line puck feeder, and since moving to BBB i took out. I can only guess that he put these in when he installed the feeder. What ever the case my plan is to replace the entire piece with one long pipe up to the 3 way. I just wondered what exactly the 3 way is.

Here is the bigger picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12,000 gallon in ground pool with rock and spa water fall, Jandy Aqualink Controls, Polaris Cleaner with booster, Hayward C17502 cartridge filter. Managed by a TF - 100 Test Kit.