Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Foamy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Foamy water

Hello, just want to start off by saying I LOVE THIS SITE! Been using it for 3 years now and never needed to post because the answers were always right here. With that being said, I am having the worst time trying to open my pool this year. So now I find myself in need of some help. I know I have come to the right place. After having a pump motor failure, I was lucky enough to be able to pick up a brand new system. Got it hooked up and started filtering and now I have foam in the pool. I understand it is sucking air from somewhere, I am just baffled as to where. No leaks we can see. My question is could it be coming from the skimmer box somehow? Really want this foam issue eliminated. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    10000 gallon AG, Hayward filter with variable speed pump. TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Foamy water

Welcome to TFP!

Can you give us a full set of test results to look at?
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Did you add any algaecides? They can cause foam.

Is the foam coming out the returns, or just on the surface?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Foam is just on the surface. No algaecides. Under the impression thats a no-no.

5. Back To Top    #5

Also can't really give any test results as I am shocking, and just added cyanuric acid, etc... to open. Don't think they would be accurate.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Silver Spring, MD

Foam is usually the result of the combination of a thin layer of organic oil on the surface, often from pollen, and a source of air bubbles. Eliminate either of the two and the foam will go away. Chlorine will normally break down organic oils, though sometimes that process can take a while. Bubbles can come from several places. If they are coming out the returns you so see if you can fix that. Other sources of bubbles are not usually worth worrying about.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School