LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, getting ready to start season 3 of Zeobrite. Last Year the pool store sold me E-Z Clor Enhanced Filter Cleaner which I did not use. Now the owner told me to open my filter by removing the valve pour the 32 ounce bottle in and fill with water and let sit for about 12 hours. Then flush with hose.

I am ok with that but I wonder is this to concentrated, I Have a Hayward S190, the directions say to mix in a bucket and run the filter on backwash. Since I have other stuff to do like reseal my fittings and at least work the skimmer side I was wondering what makes sense. I have not decided if I will open yet this week but am prepping and since I never cleaned the Zeobrite I figure it is time.

So looking for opinions, should I use the sand cleaner, which takes off grease and such. (Last year since CYA was so high I ran chlorine high and it took off neighbors spray tan and took highlights out of hair) oops

Use the Zeo Recharge process which I think is basically salt water

If I remove the multi port valve, I did once last year, do I grease the oring, I forget what I did.

Is this ok to clean the filter if I don't open this week? I will run water through it by putting a hose in the multi port. Also a neighbor said I should use a stick to break up sand, but that seems too risky.

Thanks

The filter doesn't normally need to be cleaned with chemicals. I wouldn't bother with that unless you are having some specific problem that suggests that cleaning is required. Normal backwashing will almost always take care of everything you need to do. It is a good idea to open up the filter once every two or three years and check for clumping and resettle the media, but that doesn't require chemicals. The procedure for resettling the media are here, and are the same for zeo as for sand.

The "recharge" process does nothing useful. There is no reason to ever do that.

If you open the multi-port, it is a good idea to add a little silicone based plumbers lubricant to the o-rings while you have it open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.