AGP install issue. Looking for some help

May 6, 2012
Endicott NY
I'm working on the base for my new 21'round above ground pool. My instruction say to measure from the center a 17' circle and dig out a basin 6 to 8" deep. Well after days of digging I found out I did not need to do this. I was just following directions. I wanted a flat bottom. My question is, I'm more in the 4-6 inch deep range.. Can I just fill with extra sand? And water and tamp it for a few days to get it to settle? Is there a max amount sand that can be used on the bottom? What a lot of extra work this has caused me. They should of told me this step was not needed. Any advice?

cove.JPG

You might be alright as long as you don't have any drainage issues or with water getting up under the pool. If ya' do.........I'd consider having some hard packed clay put in for the most part.

Thanks,

I don't have any drainage issues. It's all rock and drains well. As it looks now I will have to add 3-4 inch is of sand to bring it to level with the bottom of the pool. As long as the extra sand does not cause any issues i should be ok....I hope.

Hi rpm90001,

Read my pool install thread here:

new-to-site-and-new-pool-project-starting-this-year-t42531.html

Down at the bottom I have pictures and info on using screenings instead of sand for a base, most quarries have it and it is usually much cheaper than sand, (will cost more for trucking than for the material).

If you want a thin layer of sand for walking comfort once this stuff is wet and packed it will support sand very well, and given you already have a hole dug it will not wash out or shift like sand does.

Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.