Adjusting CYA

saml

Jun 3, 2008
Near Knoxville TN
I'm needing to increase my CYA from <<20 to 40, maybe 60 since I get full sun all day. I've read that you should allow a week between adjustments to give the CYA time to dissolve. I'm adding the acid by putting the granular acid in a sock and placing one in the skimmer and the other in front of a return. These have been emptied, especially the one in front of the return which occurred in just a few hours. (There's no hole in the sock)

Seems to me this means the CYA has dissolved and test results are accurate and I can continue my adjustments. Is this the case or is there something I'm missing here that I still need to give this a week to equalize?

Thanks

Dissolved or not, the test results are not reliable until a week has passed.

If you dosed carefully, you can ASSUME the correct amount of CYA is in there but it still may or may not show on the test.

If you want to add more without testing just add 1/2 as much as you think you need. Much easier to add more if needed later than to partially drain and refill to take away excess CYA.

The CYA level will not read correctly right away. You should give it the full week before testing again. Otherwise you risk raising the CYA level too high. Raising CYA is fairly easy, lowering CYA is not so easy.

The CYA hasn't fully dissolved at the point where it is all gone from the sock. Much of it is still in the form of micro-crystals that are small enough to get through the fabric, but haven't fully dissolved yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.