Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adjusting CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Adjusting CYA

I'm needing to increase my CYA from <<20 to 40, maybe 60 since I get full sun all day. I've read that you should allow a week between adjustments to give the CYA time to dissolve. I'm adding the acid by putting the granular acid in a sock and placing one in the skimmer and the other in front of a return. These have been emptied, especially the one in front of the return which occurred in just a few hours. (There's no hole in the sock)

Seems to me this means the CYA has dissolved and test results are accurate and I can continue my adjustments. Is this the case or is there something I'm missing here that I still need to give this a week to equalize?

Thanks
    18X36 IG vinyl 22100 gal. 1.0 HP Hayward Pump w/300# Hayward sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Adjusting CYA

Dissolved or not, the test results are not reliable until a week has passed.

If you dosed carefully, you can ASSUME the correct amount of CYA is in there but it still may or may not show on the test.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If you want to add more without testing just add 1/2 as much as you think you need. Much easier to add more if needed later than to partially drain and refill to take away excess CYA.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

The CYA level will not read correctly right away. You should give it the full week before testing again. Otherwise you risk raising the CYA level too high. Raising CYA is fairly easy, lowering CYA is not so easy.

The CYA hasn't fully dissolved at the point where it is all gone from the sock. Much of it is still in the form of micro-crystals that are small enough to get through the fabric, but haven't fully dissolved yet.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Good information to know. I will continue adding up to what the Pool Calculator figured and then check next weekend. This should be fine since it was based on a target of 40 and I'm thinking of headed to 60.

Thanks again.
    18X36 IG vinyl 22100 gal. 1.0 HP Hayward Pump w/300# Hayward sand filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

You might want to see how your pool "acts" at 40 first. I went from 40 to approximately 60 last year with the pool in full sun and saw no difference in FC loss.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!