Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to level a driveway area for intex ultra frame?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to level a driveway area for intex ultra frame?

Hi all,

We really really want the largest size pool that will fit in our tiny yard. The biggest area we have that is not under electrical lines, is the R.V. driveway (we don't have one to park there!) So we want to put an 12 X 24 rectangular Intex ultra frame on our R.V. driveway. The problem is that the slab is only 8 ft wide with 3 ft on each side. And, the sides are not level with the slab.
    Is there a way to level the whole area by using sand or some thing else? I was wondering if we built a frame or box around the area, then covered it with sand to level it. Then perhaps put down some kind of foam layer.
    I'm not sure how to do this. We're willing to do the hard work, but a little lost!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Liz

P.S. Go see "Battleship" our nephews, the Hoeber Bros., wrote the screenplay!
    Northern California Inground pool 20' by 40'
    Diamond Brite Quartz Medium Grey Plaster - Islands Sapphire Breeze Tile Border
    Jules Bright Cobalt Blue Blend Tile Bench fountain sheer waterfall descent
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump - Pentair CLean & CLear PLus Cartridge Filter - Kreepy Krauly Legend - mTF-100 Test Kit - Swimmers: Twins (Boy/Girl) 14 yrs old

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: How to level a driveway area for intex ultra frame?

I don't think sand would be so good....too much tendency to wash out. I would (dig down if necessary) frame up the sides around the driveway and then bring it up to level with pea gravel or perhaps something just a little coarser but not finer.

Once the gravel is level with the drive, I would install one of the rigid foam products taped together for a very smooth surface and you should be all set. Post a picture or two if you get going on this....very interesting pool build.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Why don't you extend the slab to the size of the pool?

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your great replies!

Once the gravel is level with the drive, I would install one of the rigid foam products taped together for a very smooth surface and you should be all set
    Great tip! Will look into that. By rigid foam products you mean stryofoam? Or something else?

Will definitely take pictures, and post them as to "what not to do!"
    Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump - Pentair CLean & CLear PLus Cartridge Filter - Kreepy Krauly Legend - mTF-100 Test Kit - Swimmers: Twins (Boy/Girl) 14 yrs old

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Sangster
    Why don't you extend the slab to the size of the pool?

I thought of that, but there is a cobblestone sidewalk we would be partially covering up. My DH is not keen on doing that.

Thanks,

Liz