Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: yellow area under skimmer and return flow

1. Back To Top    #1

yellow area under skimmer and return flow

Please help! Water was clear but yellow strip bottom side of pool under the skimmer and return flow. The only other issue was what looked like lines of brown dirt from center in a couple of places. This brown stuff scattered like dust when brushed. Thought it was mustard algae. FC was 4, CC zero, ph 7.8, CYA 40, alk 90. Added 'yellow clear' and one gal of 6% bleach. Next day, yellow gone, water still crystal clear but now FC is 2 and CC is 10. We have NEVER had CC higher than FC. From the info I've read, if CC is high, then there's still something in my pool, is that right? Do I need to add bleach to shock level (according to pool calculator, I'd need to add 392 oz of bleach). But water 'looks' great. What am I missing?
    13,500 gal AG, cartridge filter, 2 sp Waterway pump. TF-100 Test Kit (Love it !!) Repeating Pool School.....learn something new everyday !

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: yellow area under skimmer and return flow

If you have CC over .5 or don't hold chlorine overnight you need to shock until you meet those two criteria in addition to clear water. Check out the pool shocking section of pool school.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you, I thought so but was concerned that CC is way higher than FC. Will shocking increase CC as well as FC?
    13,500 gal AG, cartridge filter, 2 sp Waterway pump. TF-100 Test Kit (Love it !!) Repeating Pool School.....learn something new everyday !

4. Back To Top    #4

No, it should not make the CC go up, but down throughout the shocking process.

You get CC when there is something in the pool causing the chlorine to break down. The goal of shocking is to remove/kill whatever is eating up your chlorine so you no longer have CC or the chlorine odor they cause.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you so much for the help, and the explanation, makes sense. I didn't want to believe something was still there, the water is so clear but the numbers don't lie, do they Adding bleach now.

6. Back To Top    #6

Added 'yellow clear'
    What are the ingredients in yellow clear?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

What are the ingredients in yellow clear?
    I think sodium bromide which is a huge consumer of chlorine and will account for the cc's.

If something from the pool store says "yellow...(anything)" DO NOT BUY IT
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School