Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problem with pump - tried everything!

1. Back To Top    #1

Problem with pump - tried everything!

IG with 25K water, pump is OA Smith, very low flow and not pulling water from bottom of pool or skimmer. Sand filter registers 0. Used drainking blew water from pump to skimmer and from skimmer to pump and got flow both ways. Then when I turned pump on doesn't pull water from skimmer, even after priming it several times. Replaced sand in filter, cleaned pump filter, pulled pump apart, relubed seals, lubed o ring on pump, took apart 4-way valve on filter and cleaned, cannot find obstructions anywhere. Not finding airleaks above ground. Checked valves to make sure they're airtight, correct ones are on, when pumping I isolated skimmer so more suction would come from skimmer - didn't work. Isolated drain at bottom of pool - that didn't work. Replaced drain plug - that didn't work.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Problem with pump - tried everything!

When you say you tore apart the pump, can you be more specific? Did you separate the wet end from the motor?

Also, anything else you can describe in terms of symptoms? Noise, heat, leaks?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes I separated wet part of pump, oiled seals and put back together. Impeller seems to be ok. What started this whole thing is the filter basket in pump was half full of tile and debris and pump water was very hot, but didn't melt anything. We bought the house 6 months ago and have just started using the pool, don't think the previous owner did any maintenance for 12 years. After the water was hot and I stopped the pump, cleaned the filter, replaced the sand in sand filter, I ran water back through the skimmer with the drainpro and water is flowing between the skimmer and pump and reverse.

No unusual noise in the pump. Turn on and get only very low flow of water, but water from the skimmer and the bottom drain - the pump won't pull it in. Not sure how to check for airleaks but there doesn't seem to be any airleaks. No water leaks anywhere.

I appreciate any help you can offer!

4. Back To Top    #4

It sounds to me like the motor may be partly burned out and not spinning as fast as it should
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

I doubt the motor is the problem. If the housing got really hot it could have warped and the diffuser isn't making a seal in the casing. That would cause it not to pump or to pump very little.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

If the housing is warped what would you do to fix it? Change out the motor? I do have another one. Also found that the drain plus is leaking. Thanks for your suggestions.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry, if the diffuser is warped how would you fix? Replace? Also, how would you know if the diffuser was warped? Thanks.

8. Back To Top    #8

You should be able to see the parts warped and out of round.

The drain plugs may have solved the problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

If you can't get this pump going - well, it may be time for a new pump. 12 years is getting on in years for a pool pump (especially if it has been neglected in the past). It might be easier to get a replacement pump than to replace any damaged parts in a 12 year old pump

That A.O. Smith is the MOTOR, not the pump. If you need a replacement pump, I'd say something in the 1 HP - 1.5 HP class (preferably in 2 speeds).
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Turn on and get only very low flow of water, but water from the skimmer and the bottom drain - the pump won't pull it in. Not sure how to check for airleaks but there doesn't seem to be any airleaks
    I don't understand. When your pump is running, do you see air or bubbles in the pump strainer basket?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School