Yet another LQ upgrade....

May 13, 2012
Well I installed two Watts PL-3028 SpeedFit things. One just before the pump and one just after the filter. I also replace the stock flow control valve with a 3/8 SpeedFit one. Believe it or not, I see no appreciable difference in the flow indicator. Even with the valve wide open, I'm barely exceeding #2. So as a test, I removed the check valve on the suction side, and I can pull a 4. Seems weak to me, for a 1.5 single speed Hayward pump. I reinstalled the check valve temporarily, until I can get a 3/8 one online from US Plastics. So here's my other upgrade idea..... I think I will remove the barb fittings from the flow meter and replace them with Watts PL-3025. That will give me 3/8 in and out other flowmeter. Anyone else done this?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Never mind... Found a resource that listed acetal plastic as NOT recommended with chlorine or any strong oxidized. Looks like the John Guest ones are all acetal too :(

Sweetness! I ordered a couple last night. Now the only thing that is still tiny are the connections to the floats in the tank. I see no way of upping those.

The float connectors are the only connectors not replaced. You can replace the blue handle valve with a needle valve and 2 speed connectors if you want more gradual control over the flow rate.
I am currently using 2 JG Checkvalves but I may remove the one near the filter drain plug if I am unable to maintain enough chlorine during the high summer heat.

Thanks!
David
Sent from my iPhone using
Tapatalk

Ya my setup us on an AGP, so the LQ sets on the ground. I did remove the check valve on the pressure side of the LQ, as the incoming float remains closed when my pump is off. I have to keep the one on the suction side though, but it's getting replaced next week when my shipment from US Plastics arrives :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.