Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yet another LQ upgrade....

1. Back To Top    #1

Yet another LQ upgrade....

Well I installed two Watts PL-3028 SpeedFit things. One just before the pump and one just after the filter. I also replace the stock flow control valve with a 3/8 SpeedFit one. Believe it or not, I see no appreciable difference in the flow indicator. Even with the valve wide open, I'm barely exceeding #2. So as a test, I removed the check valve on the suction side, and I can pull a 4. Seems weak to me, for a 1.5 single speed Hayward pump. I reinstalled the check valve temporarily, until I can get a 3/8 one online from US Plastics. So here's my other upgrade idea..... I think I will remove the barb fittings from the flow meter and replace them with Watts PL-3025. That will give me 3/8 in and out other flowmeter. Anyone else done this?

Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Yes. Remove all barb fittings and replace with the Watts quick connect fittings so you do not restrict the flow. You can get check valves (John Guest) that have the quick connect fittings on both ends too.
    11,000 Gal Trilogy "Utopia" Fiberglass Pool, 1HP Jandy Pump, Jandy CS200 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 199k BTU Heater, Liquidator, CMP Off-Line Chlorinator. Cleaners: Polaris 360, Blue Diamond, Poolvernuegen Pressure

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Yet another LQ upgrade....

Good to know... I keep finding SpeedFit check valves online that are made of "acetal". Is that satisfactory?

Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

4. Back To Top    #4

Never mind... Found a resource that listed acetal plastic as NOT recommended with chlorine or any strong oxidized. Looks like the John Guest ones are all acetal too

5. Back To Top    #5

The liquidator has chlorinated water running through the hoses, not 12% liquid chlorine.
    11,000 Gal Trilogy "Utopia" Fiberglass Pool, 1HP Jandy Pump, Jandy CS200 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 199k BTU Heater, Liquidator, CMP Off-Line Chlorinator. Cleaners: Polaris 360, Blue Diamond, Poolvernuegen Pressure

6. Back To Top    #6

While the acetal isn't rated for chlorine service, it's fine at the concentrations seen in the LQ.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Sweetness! I ordered a couple last night. Now the only thing that is still tiny are the connections to the floats in the tank. I see no way of upping those.

8. Back To Top    #8

The float connectors are the only connectors not replaced. You can replace the blue handle valve with a needle valve and 2 speed connectors if you want more gradual control over the flow rate.
    I am currently using 2 JG Checkvalves but I may remove the one near the filter drain plug if I am unable to maintain enough chlorine during the high summer heat.

Thanks!
    David
    Sent from my iPhone using
    Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #9

Ya my setup us on an AGP, so the LQ sets on the ground. I did remove the check valve on the pressure side of the LQ, as the incoming float remains closed when my pump is off. I have to keep the one on the suction side though, but it's getting replaced next week when my shipment from US Plastics arrives

10. Back To Top    #10

If you have a very short distance between the pool and the pump you may have to partially close the pump suction valve to get the LQ to go to 5 on the flow meter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit