D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

I have a 15'x25' oval pool and it's about 30 years old. It's about time to replace. I am looking at same size pools and they come with filters and pumps. All seem to offer sand filters but I have always had D.E. filters.

Which is better? What are the differences? Thanks for any help on the subject!

A sand filter will filter down to 40 microns, and require back-washing somewhat regularly

A DE filter will filter down to 5 microns, and require back-washing (less often than sand)

A cartridge filter will filter down to 10 microns and cartridges are cleaned manually (no backwashing)

blakej said:
A sand filter will filter down to 40 microns, and require back-washing somewhat regularly

A DE filter will filter down to 5 microns, and require back-washing (less often than sand)

A cartridge filter will filter down to 10 microns and cartridges are cleaned manually (no backwashing)

Sounds like a cartridge does the best filtering and the D.E. next best or am I reading this wrong?

DE filters out the most 'junk.' (based on the lowest micron filtering ability)

Cartridge still do a great job, but not quite as well as DE. They are, however, easiest to clean in my opinion. Some people might disagree, but I would rather hose off a cartridge than backwash and add more DE media or sand.

blakej said:
DE filters out the most 'junk.' (based on the lowest micron filtering ability)

Cartridge still do a great job, but not quite as well as DE. They are, however, easiest to clean in my opinion. Some people might disagree, but I would rather hose off a cartridge than backwash and add more DE media or sand.

LOL, I realize I read it wrong -- of course the D.E. filters out the most junk! So I think I'd like to stay away from sand filters. Go with another D.E. or try a cartridge! Yup, I'd rather just hose something off than do all that backwashing and messing around with adding more D.E.

Thanks for the input!

mynewpool said:
I switched from a DE filter to a cartridge. Now my cartridge is a step up from my DE filter so I am getting more filtration. I have not noticed a difference in clarity since I have switched.
A DE filter will filter our smaller particles than a cartridge filter can..BUT the difference is not usually noticeable to the human eye.

blakej said:
mynewpool said:
I switched from a DE filter to a cartridge. Now my cartridge is a step up from my DE filter so I am getting more filtration. I have not noticed a difference in clarity since I have switched.
A DE filter will filter our smaller particles than a cartridge filter can..BUT the difference is not usually noticeable to the human eye.

Yea I know that, but I also went up in size with my cartridge filter so I assume I am getting better filtration, but I could be wrong which would not suprise me haha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I loved my DE filter and would buy another one in a heart beat over the sand or the cartidge filters. I've never owned a sand or cartridge but I love the DE filter enough to not want anything else. I don't mind the extra work of pouring in DE to reload. Pool Care is dang near non existant here at TFP with the BBB or SWG.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that since a cartridge filter does not have a backwash valve, it is also the most energy efficient (i.e. lowest head loss) of all three filters. So the energy factor (gallons/watt-hr) will be higher on a cartridge pool.

I made peace with my DE filter after switching to cellulose. In the process, I discovered an easy way to clean it. Barb adapter in the drain to hook up a drain hose, then spray off the grids directly within the housing. No disassembly required. Superior filtering + easy maintenance, what's not to love?

Still if I was buying new I would probably choose cart...

mas985 said:
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that since a cartridge filter does not have a backwash valve, it is also the most energy efficient (i.e. lowest head loss) of all three filters. So the energy factor (gallons/watt-hr) will be higher on a cartridge pool.

Considering how high our electric is in Los Angeles, I could use the more energy efficient cartridge! I do love the D.E. filter, but again, never had anything else!

Sounds like cartridge is the way to go. I won't miss having to backwash and replace the D.E. that's for sure. They sound a lot easier to clean!

I've owned a Pentair cartridge filter for 7 years. You need to remove the filter once a month and spray it with your garden hose. Once a year you will need to buy a new filter. Depending on size mine cost me between $75-$100 each year !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.