Become a TFP Supporter Pool School
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

  1. Back To Top    #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    32

    D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

    I have a 15'x25' oval pool and it's about 30 years old. It's about time to replace. I am looking at same size pools and they come with filters and pumps. All seem to offer sand filters but I have always had D.E. filters.

    Which is better? What are the differences? Thanks for any help on the subject!
    [center:3jp7r7gm]15'x25'x4' Oval Muskin AGP, blue vinyl liner, sunk 2 feet in ground with redwood decking. Approx 10k gallons. Hayward Perflex filter D.E. and Hayward 1.5 hp pump. One return line. Wedding cake stairs. (whew, hopefully that describes the pool!)[/center:3jp7r7gm]

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Senior Member blakej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    717

    Re: D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

    A sand filter will filter down to 40 microns, and require back-washing somewhat regularly

    A DE filter will filter down to 5 microns, and require back-washing (less often than sand)

    A cartridge filter will filter down to 10 microns and cartridges are cleaned manually (no backwashing)

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    32

    Re: D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

    Quote Originally Posted by blakej
    A sand filter will filter down to 40 microns, and require back-washing somewhat regularly

    A DE filter will filter down to 5 microns, and require back-washing (less often than sand)

    A cartridge filter will filter down to 10 microns and cartridges are cleaned manually (no backwashing)
    Sounds like a cartridge does the best filtering and the D.E. next best or am I reading this wrong?
    [center:3jp7r7gm]15'x25'x4' Oval Muskin AGP, blue vinyl liner, sunk 2 feet in ground with redwood decking. Approx 10k gallons. Hayward Perflex filter D.E. and Hayward 1.5 hp pump. One return line. Wedding cake stairs. (whew, hopefully that describes the pool!)[/center:3jp7r7gm]

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Senior Member blakej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    717

    Re: D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

    DE filters out the most 'junk.' (based on the lowest micron filtering ability)

    Cartridge still do a great job, but not quite as well as DE. They are, however, easiest to clean in my opinion. Some people might disagree, but I would rather hose off a cartridge than backwash and add more DE media or sand.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    32

    Re: D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

    Quote Originally Posted by blakej
    DE filters out the most 'junk.' (based on the lowest micron filtering ability)

    Cartridge still do a great job, but not quite as well as DE. They are, however, easiest to clean in my opinion. Some people might disagree, but I would rather hose off a cartridge than backwash and add more DE media or sand.
    LOL, I realize I read it wrong -- of course the D.E. filters out the most junk! So I think I'd like to stay away from sand filters. Go with another D.E. or try a cartridge! Yup, I'd rather just hose something off than do all that backwashing and messing around with adding more D.E.

    Thanks for the input!
    [center:3jp7r7gm]15'x25'x4' Oval Muskin AGP, blue vinyl liner, sunk 2 feet in ground with redwood decking. Approx 10k gallons. Hayward Perflex filter D.E. and Hayward 1.5 hp pump. One return line. Wedding cake stairs. (whew, hopefully that describes the pool!)[/center:3jp7r7gm]

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Senior Member Isaac-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SW Louisiana
    Posts
    4,858

    Re: D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

    If you live in an area where water is expensive or use may be restricted during dry seasons, you may want to more strongly consider cartridge filters.

    Ike
    Indoor 20x40 36,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis panel roof top solar w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and now Hot Spring Jetsetter standalone spa
    I use and endorse the TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    1,082

    Re: D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

    I switched from a DE filter to a cartridge. Now my cartridge is a step up from my DE filter so I am getting more filtration. I have not noticed a difference in clarity since I have switched.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Senior Member blakej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    717

    Re: D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

    Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    I switched from a DE filter to a cartridge. Now my cartridge is a step up from my DE filter so I am getting more filtration. I have not noticed a difference in clarity since I have switched.
    A DE filter will filter our smaller particles than a cartridge filter can..BUT the difference is not usually noticeable to the human eye.

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    1,082

    Re: D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

    Quote Originally Posted by blakej
    Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    I switched from a DE filter to a cartridge. Now my cartridge is a step up from my DE filter so I am getting more filtration. I have not noticed a difference in clarity since I have switched.
    A DE filter will filter our smaller particles than a cartridge filter can..BUT the difference is not usually noticeable to the human eye.
    Yea I know that, but I also went up in size with my cartridge filter so I assume I am getting better filtration, but I could be wrong which would not suprise me haha.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    32

    Re: D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

    Sounds like cartridge is the way to go. I won't miss having to backwash and replace the D.E. that's for sure. They sound a lot easier to clean!
    [center:3jp7r7gm]15'x25'x4' Oval Muskin AGP, blue vinyl liner, sunk 2 feet in ground with redwood decking. Approx 10k gallons. Hayward Perflex filter D.E. and Hayward 1.5 hp pump. One return line. Wedding cake stairs. (whew, hopefully that describes the pool!)[/center:3jp7r7gm]

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Senior Member Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    8,094

    Re: D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

    I loved my DE filter and would buy another one in a heart beat over the sand or the cartidge filters. I've never owned a sand or cartridge but I love the DE filter enough to not want anything else. I don't mind the extra work of pouring in DE to reload. Pool Care is dang near non existant here at TFP with the BBB or SWG.

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Senior Member mas985's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    7,670

    Re: D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that since a cartridge filter does not have a backwash valve, it is also the most energy efficient (i.e. lowest head loss) of all three filters. So the energy factor (gallons/watt-hr) will be higher on a cartridge pool.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    781

    Re: D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

    I made peace with my DE filter after switching to cellulose. In the process, I discovered an easy way to clean it. Barb adapter in the drain to hook up a drain hose, then spray off the grids directly within the housing. No disassembly required. Superior filtering + easy maintenance, what's not to love?

    Still if I was buying new I would probably choose cart...
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

  14. Back To Top    #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    32

    Re: D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

    Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that since a cartridge filter does not have a backwash valve, it is also the most energy efficient (i.e. lowest head loss) of all three filters. So the energy factor (gallons/watt-hr) will be higher on a cartridge pool.
    Considering how high our electric is in Los Angeles, I could use the more energy efficient cartridge! I do love the D.E. filter, but again, never had anything else!
    [center:3jp7r7gm]15'x25'x4' Oval Muskin AGP, blue vinyl liner, sunk 2 feet in ground with redwood decking. Approx 10k gallons. Hayward Perflex filter D.E. and Hayward 1.5 hp pump. One return line. Wedding cake stairs. (whew, hopefully that describes the pool!)[/center:3jp7r7gm]

  15. Back To Top    #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Palm Coast, FL
    Posts
    1

    Re: D.E. filter vs. Sand or cartridge filters

    Quote Originally Posted by catchyoulater View Post
    Sounds like cartridge is the way to go. I won't miss having to backwash and replace the D.E. that's for sure. They sound a lot easier to clean!
    I've owned a Pentair cartridge filter for 7 years. You need to remove the filter once a month and spray it with your garden hose. Once a year you will need to buy a new filter. Depending on size mine cost me between $75-$100 each year !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •