New pool

May 12, 2012
Hello,

We just got (3 weeks) our new 24ft above ground pool (~13500 gallons). Started out at the pool store, with there recommendations. Now, I am getting on the bbb system, and received my tf100 test kit today.

I had the water tested at the pool store this morning, and there readings were:

TC 5
FC 5
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 125
CH 275
CYA 100
TDS 500

My readings are:

TC 9
FC 9
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 120
CH 290
CYA 25

For the most part everything looks good I think. My concern is with the cya. Over the 4 readings done at the pool store it started out at 0, then went up to 60, 80, and 100. This is with adding 8lbs of stabilizer, and going through 9, 3" pucks.. Best I can tell from my research, that should put the cya at ~100, but I have done 3 tests, and followed the instructions, as well as the advice here on doing the test. What do you make of this, and which reading would you use? Should I drain water and refill, or add more stabilizer?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Pool store tests are notoriously inaccurate (especially for CYA). But, that being said, you still added a lot of stabilizer.

How long ago did you add the stabilizer? Did you use the granular type? (I assume so since you are speaking in weight, not volume). If so, this can take up to one full week to show up on your test.

I would trust the TF-100 much more than the pool store, just make sure you wait long enough before testing water. If your CYA really IS 100, then yes, a partial refill will make it much easier to maintain your pool in the future.

If you added the dry CYA stabilizer to the skimmer then backwashed the filter (if you have sand or DE) within a day or two you may have backwashed out most of the CYA since it does take afew days to disolve. Alternatively I would suggest you try retesting with the TF-100 kit, my understanding of the CYA test, is it should be done outdoors with your back to the sun, mix, vigorousely shake, wait at least 30 seconds, shake again, then pour and read.

Since the math and at least one test result show high CYA I suspect you will end up having to dump and refill at least 50% of your water to get down to managable CYA levels, then avoid trichlor pucks, etc.

sorry you were pool stored

Isaac-1 said:
If you added the dry CYA stabilizer to the skimmer then backwashed the filter (if you have sand or DE) within a day or two you may have backwashed out most of the CYA since it does take afew days to disolve. Alternatively I would suggest you try retesting with the TF-100 kit, my understanding of the CYA test, is it should be done outdoors with your back to the sun, mix, vigorousely shake, wait at least 30 seconds, shake again, then pour and read.

Since the math and at least one test result show high CYA I suspect you will end up having to dump and refill at least 50% of your water to get down to managable CYA levels, then avoid trichlor pucks, etc.

sorry you were pool stored

That's kind of what I'm thinking. But, I have done the test myself the times, and the dot is clearly visible, at least way past 100.

As per backwashing, etc.. I have a cartridge filter, and have not cleaned it yet, so everything I put in, should be there.

Think I will try another test tomorrow, and mabye try to locate another pool store, and at least get another test to compare with.

Yes, I was pool stored! Should have known better....

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but I'm a little confused on maybe either how you said, or how I read "and the dot is clearly visible, at least way past 100".....
As you fill the tube, the value should be going down.... if I am in my right mind...(and I probally ain't!!)
Just sayin!!
Noobie to TFP myself.....learning alot from so many.
Later!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Isaac-1 said:
There have been reports of at least one batch of CYA stabilizer a couple of years ago that had no CYA in it, perhaps you got lucky and had a bad batch

This thought had crossed my mind.. would be nice if that were the case.. I'll try a couple of more tests, and see what happens.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

kbrabble,

WHEN did you put the CYA in your pool? Test results for CYA will not show up accurately until the CYA has been in your pool for 4-7 days. If that time has passed, you should trust your own results...no one else's

Well, did another couple of tests today, outside with my back to the sun, as suggested in the extended instructions. Both times the reading was ~45 so I think I am going to stick to that reading... Thanks for the advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.