baquicil... pool turned green

Apr 27, 2012
Hi. I have a 27 ft round AG pool. I put baquicil when i opened the pool this year. Everything was fine until we had a big rain. Now it has turned green. I went to the pool store with a sample of water and the guy gave me the stuff to fix it , however.. i dont want to deal with the every time it rains...
any suggesttions?

Make sure your sanitizer levels stay high, and you keep up on adding algicide weekly. Baquacil works not by killing algae like chlorine, but more by not allowing it to grow in the first place.

Two quick questions.....
1. What was the pool stores test results
2. What was their suggestions to clear the pool up??

pool guy said the pool water test resuts were all low and he said we may have a different more aggresive type of algea in the pool.
He gave us some different type of stronger algeaside (baquicil brand.) and he had us buy another start up kit and essentially put all the chemicals in that we did when we started up the pool about 3 weeks ago. (we put all fresh water in this year.)

I am looking for info on how to maintain the baquacil... We have invested about 275$ in baquacil and only had the pool open for 3 weeks...REALLY dont want to start over w another chemical..

I'm going to address this last statement in two parts. Please take the advice from either part that you wish to use.

1. As I stated above, Baquacil works best by preventing algae growing. This is done by a combo of both the Baquacil Sanitizer and the use of an algicide. Make sure that you keep your sanitizer levels between 30-50ppm at all times. If EVER this falls below this amount you will get algae....and quickly too. To combat the issue of your levels dropping.....test daily, much as you would a chlorine pool. If you are expecting heavy use in the pool, heavy rains, plan on leaving town for a few days, or see any signs of algae bump up your sanitizer levels. To combat the algae that you already have use the Baquacil Oxidizer product. Using this product is just like using a "shock" product for chlorine. Make sure that you are adding oxidizer to the pool often for the next few day's until your pool clears up. Keep the pool running 24/7 or as often as you can. I know that often our DE filiter would lose it's prime OFTEN when clearing algae so if you're uneasy about running it overnight....DON'T!

2. My in-laws used Baquacil in their 25k gallon pool for over 15 years. Until the end of last season, never once did any other item besides Baquacil hit the pool. The water was always "OK" under normal use, but if you leave it for a few days.....it turned green. No matter any way you look at it, there's one promise I will make to you using Baquacil. You will spend a TON of cash keeping the pool clean. My in-laws would often spend well over $800 a year just in chemicals to clean the pool. This isn't counting items for PH or anything else. If you've just started using Baquacil and have no other reason to use the chemical besides "you're already in it for a few hundred" I myself would STRONGLY count your lose now and get out! Try and return the product that you've yet to use for store credit and switch to chlorine. Often to open the pool my in-laws would spend $200-$300 to get the water "cloudy" at best. Never once was it the sparkling clean that we have no. We made the switch to chlorine at the end of last year, and the total bill was well under $200. So far this year we opened the pool in early April. The water was dark green upon opening, but in less than a week we had it the sparkling blue that this forum is famous for. I spend maybe 10 minutes a day keeping up with the pool during the week, and on the weekends nobody does much besides turn on the pump and add 1/2 a gallon of 10% chlorine on Sunday's. To date we've spend just around $60 this year on chlorine keeping the water clean. IT'S WORTH THE SWAP IF YOU'RE LOOKING TO SAVE CASH. If you're still wishing to give your hand at Baquacil I'll be more than happy to help you out clean your pool, but be warned it's expensive.

We too have Baquacil in our 13, 500 gallon pool. I fought the cloudy water problem for years with no help from pool supply dealers. Finally I determined that my problem with maintenance was not with the Baquacil chemicals but with the pH of the water we put in the pool. We live out in the country in northwest Florida and pump our own freshwater out of the largest underground aquifer in the State of Florida carved out of limestone, which dissolves a large amount of calcium. We know this because we have running calcium buildup problems with dishes and PVC pipes as well as drain pipes. I have started using Muriatic Acid to balance the pH in the pool and when we get excessive rain I drain some water, back-wash and rinse our sand filter. Our pool is clear now with the exception that I originally put to much Baquacil trying to clear up the water and the water has a blue tint, which isn't objectionable but we like the water clear. We installed the pool in 1998... We have never hand any problem with liner erosion, swimsuit discoloring, equipment corrosion, etc. Al and Sue

Wow, Al Barrs sounds like a success story and that you have the Baq system in control. Most of us former users couldn't do that. I switched to chlorine because of the issues and feel of the water. I switched to BBB then eventually went to a salt water generator that of course creates chlorine. It rocks. I ignored the pool last fall so opening was very green. I needed CYA so used $30 of dychlor shock to get rid of the green and get my CYA up at the same time. After that I turned on the SWG and have only had to add 2 jugs of bleach, baking soda and borax so maybe another $10. Except for electricity, this is all I've spent. Way lower then when I used Baq.

If you want to continue with Baq then I wish you luck.

I am another of the "former Baq members" who has made the switch to the BBB method. I understand your conviction and aggravation with the amount of money you have already spent and don't want to think about a conversion. I've been there. In early June i had already spent over 400 going back and forth to the pool store to get Baqua stuff that never worked.

It's of course your decision. But, read up on the pool school here. It is WELL worth the time.

I had one problem after another during my conversion (no fault of the BBB system) but i am SO glad i did it. I'll never look back.

Good luck to you!!!!!

Miss Bleach Pants (oppss, I mean Niki) has had every conceivable challenge in her conversion and it still possible that even with a new pump, she saved money over B fun. She also has a 60 page conversion thread to document it...

Niki, I hope you don't mind but I am going share this... since you are making this your avatar...I am confident its OK. You are deservedly proud to be able to show this.

NikiBelle on May 21 said:
Ok here we are.... THIS after almost 500 dollars so far with Bacqa-yuk....

100_1345.jpg

100_1333.jpg

Now!

Nikis+Pool.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.