New pool owner waiting on my test kit - Newbie question

May 17, 2012
tn
Hi guys! Extremely happy I found tfp! I am a new owner (well actually im taking over for my mom who uses pool store for everything and it has been a total disaster) thank god I found this forum. Ok so here goes, I have read thru the forum and learned more in a day than I ever imagined, this place rocks! ordered the tf100 but while I wait the only test I have is a home depot test that shows FC (color coded and also alk,br,ph).

Pool was a swamp left uncovered all winter. Have been shocking it but not properly as I am know seeing it was wrong with walmart brand shock powder (I know BBB is the way I am going to go now). After fighting back and forth finally today it looks cloudy blue. Cant see bottom but close. I have been getting all the leaves,etc out of the bottom in the process. Keeping everything stirred up to let the chlorine do its job.

While Im waiting on the kit (should be here tom or mon) how high do I want the fc level to be according to my cheap test kit ( 2.5 being ideal, its on a scale from 0-5.0) or do I even go by that at all. I wanna be sure fc stays high enough to keep algae out. It has dropped from bright orange yest (over 5.0) to about the ideal range which is about 2.5. (Ph is 7.6) Going by the pool calculator stats I am going to add some bleach to keep levels elevated. It is telling me 32 ounces will raise my fc by about .8

Question is where do I want the levels according to my color coded test until I can get my other test.? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long ramble

Clayton

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    35 KB · Views: 46
  • pool.JPG
    pool.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 46
Without knowing how much CYA is in the pool it's impossible to say how much FC you need to have in the pool.

Do you know what was in the Walmart "shock"?

I would keep the chlorine at 5 ppm until you get the good kit. It may not help a lot but it'll keep it from getting worse.

Hi thanks for response. I was afraid & figured you would say that :) Trichloro-s-triazinetrione is the active ingredient in the shock. OK I guess I will just wing it till i get the kit. But I obviously need to raise the fc level higher than it is now. The pool is hit by the sun all day long essentially so it is only going to go down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.