Sand Filter Suggestions

Jul 2, 2011
Hola, gang! I'm looking to update the filtration system on my pool to a sand filter, but the local pool shops around me have been giving me mixed information and I'm thoroughly confused as to the proper size filter/pump I need to pick up to handle my 21', 10,407 gallon circular pool.

The pool has a main bottom drain in the center of the pool, a skimmer basket, and a single return. Environmentally, we tend to get a lot of thick cottonwood (I think that's what it's called?) that made cleaning the old cartage filter both extremely time consuming and frustrating. This is where the sand filter recommendation came in since water in my area is cheap and back-washing is less strenuous.

I do have an existing, brand new 1.5HP sand filter pump and a "universal" base (Amazon freebie they sent me by mistake), but one local shop said that was too much, while another said it's just fine.

Could anyone point me in the right direction so I don't get over/undersold by my local dealers? Bonus points if you can suggest a tank or complete system on Amazon so I can abuse my Amazon Prime membership's free shipping.

Thanks in advance!

Your pump is rather large for your pool. That isn't a huge problem, but it will use more electricity than a more appropriate pump would.

I recommend getting a fairly large filter, the largest you have room for and can afford. Larger filters last longer between backwashes and are more efficient.

Like Jason said, it is a bit larger than needed for your pool, if it is too large may be a matter of local regulations, I know some areas have laws about maximum flow rate on return fittings (the theory being too high of pressure could injure people) and I think California implemented a law a couple of years ago limiting typical residential size pools to 3/4 HP pumps as an energy savings measure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.