Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Finally got a Taylor 2006

1. Back To Top    #1

Finally got a Taylor 2006

Well I just got my kit in the mail from Apollo Pools. My pool has been open for two weeks now and I have been vacuuming and brushing regularly. I also installed a new 24 Hayward sand filter and 300 pounds of sand (nepheline syenite) replacing my old Sta-Rite 20" sand filter. I have been running the filter 8hrs a day between 3pm and 11pm.

Here are my numbers

FC 2.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.6
    TA 110
    CH 80
    CA <30

I was using a Taylor 1004 kit to maintain a FC level around 2-4 ppm because the waster was clear and I had no idea what my CA level was. What I find strange is that I have been using the pool calculator to add 10% liquid chlorine every other day which works out to about 1.5 liters per dose. I have no CC and it seems like I don't really have to add that much liquid every other day. Is this normal even with such a low CA reading? The pool seems to be holding the FC level without any trouble. Do I need to even add any CA? The water on the CA test is cloudy but I reach the top of the test tube and can still see the dot which is why I am guessing it is around 10ppm or less.

By the way the water is 21C and the pool is in full sun from 10am-7pm.

Brad
    21K gal, Vinyl, 16X32, 3/4 HP Hayward Maxflo, Hayward Pro 24" Sand Filter
    Apollo Pools (Canadian Supplier for Taylor Kits) www.piscines-apollo.com

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Finally got a Taylor 2006

I'd bump the CYA up to 30 ppm or so. It'll help your FC usage a bit and you cna raise the FC to about 4 ppm.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If you want to measure down to 10 ppm CYA you can use half CYA Standard Solution (3.5 mL) diluted with half pool water (3.5 mL) and proceed with the test as usual, adding 7 ml R-0013, mixing for 30 seconds etc. With this variation, if you read 30 ppm CYA on the comparator bloc then there's 10 ppm CYA in the pool water.

View Tube...Actual CYA

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies and info guys. Even though my pool has a liner should I increase the CH closer to 200ppm. I am going by what the Taylor handbook suggests, between 200-400ppm. 200ppm would balance my water and bring it coser to 0.0 on the Saturation Index on the Watergram?
    21K gal, Vinyl, 16X32, 3/4 HP Hayward Maxflo, Hayward Pro 24" Sand Filter
    Apollo Pools (Canadian Supplier for Taylor Kits) www.piscines-apollo.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by NWCanuck
    Thanks for the replies and info guys. Even though my pool has a liner should I increase the CH closer to 200ppm. I am going by what the Taylor handbook suggests, between 200-400ppm. 200ppm would balance my water and bring it coser to 0.0 on the Saturation Index on the Watergram?
    I would waste your money/time on it. It really does nothing for your vinyl pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Last year we had a lot of rain and my CH level got down to 50 ppm and I noticed that the liner got slippery. Adjusting the CH level up to 140 ppm brought the tackiness right back (it was apparent that afternoon). I can't say if CH level affects the life of the liner, but in my limited experience it seems to change how the liner feels under foot.
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by NWCanuck View Post
    I also installed a new 24 Hayward sand filter and 300 pounds of sand (nepheline syenite) replacing my old Sta-Rite 20" sand filter. I have been running the filter 8hrs a day between 3pm and 11pm.

Brad
    Good day.... After a few years of use are you happy with the performance of the (nepheline syenite) sand in the Hayward filter? Thnxs

PS.... I just purchased (nepheline syenite) from our local pool shop and will be installing it in our S244T Filter soon.