Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer and Main drain questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer and Main drain questions

Good afternoon everyone,

After pulling my hair out this morning, here I am. I am starting up my equipment.

I have backwashed the filter, rinsed, and set to filter. I primed the pump. Finally, water is coming from the returns nicely with the skimmers on and the main drain off.

My issue: The skimmers dont seem to be suctioning at all. How is that possible since the returns are flowing, and how do I fix it? Also, I have 2 separate switches for the main drain and the skimmer. Should both be on at the same time or just one at a time? when I turn on the main drain the filter loses pressure.

Im really afraid of screwing my system up, and very tempted to just call a pool guy even though I cant afford it!!

Please help.... thanks in advance.

ps - still waiting for the test kit.
    34K gallon, Hayward S240 sand filter, in ground, gunite... not sure of pump size and flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Skimmer and Main drain questions

ps - still waiting for the test kit.
    If you ordered it from TFTestkits, please PM me your name and I'll get you an answer.

Post a pic of your valves and controls (make it complete) and someone will walk you right through it.

Whaqt is the water level in the skimmers...it might be too high.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The water is about half way up... when I feel down where the water drains in the skimmer I dont feel any suction. I did the tennisball test and nothing. I tried turning the valve off and on and it sounds like something rattling. I dont know if that's normal.

Im not worried about the test kit. I was just mentioning that Im still waiting (I went with the slower shipping), but thank you.

I will try to post pics.
    34K gallon, Hayward S240 sand filter, in ground, gunite... not sure of pump size and flow rate

4. Back To Top    #4

ok, Update: there is something that looks like a return on the side of the pool that needs to remain plugged. I had removed it thinking it was a return. I put it back in and the skimmers are working beautifully.

Crisis averted.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, that's a vacuum port, used for certain kinds of automated cleaner things IIRC.
    6000gal IG gunite // Hayward cartridge filter // rooftop solar heater // 32ppm borates
    Only two chemicals go in my pool! - bleach and muriatic acid!