New test kit results - help!

May 11, 2012
Aledo, TX
I discovered this forum after needing help when we uncovered our pool. Used bleach and cleaned the filter based on what we saw in here.I ordered a taylor K-2006. While our pool is clear now except for some yellow/white algae stains on the steps, the test results show that all is not well! We have not been using our in-line clorinator, instead using bleach to maintain clorine. I know we've got a problem with the PH & the CYA everything else looks high (except the clorine), I'm just not sure what to do first. Here are the results:
PH .8
CYA 100
FC .5
CC .5
TA 140
CH 450

Hello and welcome to TFP!

First off, I am assuming your pH is 8 (not .8)
This is high, but can be fixed with Muriatic Acid

CYA of 100 is high, and I would attribute that to your in-line chlorinator (did this have pucks in it?). Unfortunately, the only way to lower CYA is by doing a partial drain/refill
But the good news is, once you get your CYA in line, it will be much easier to manage your pool and FC levels.

FC is very low for this level of CYA. You should have 7 in the pool as a minimum (target 12). With FC this low, you are risking an algae bloom.

TA is a little high, but not outrageous. High TA will cause pH to drift up, but TA will also be lowered by Muriatic Acid.

CH is also slightly high, but not outrageous.

SO..I would say work on getting CYA down (partial refill), get more FC in the pool, and add muriatic acid using Pool Calculator to determine dose

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.