Refilling sand filter question

Jun 21, 2011
Hello,
I am getting ready to open the pool for the first time. I installed the pool last year, but a friend of mine came over and hooked up the pump and filter while I was at work. I'd rather not bug him, seems like something I should be able to do.

Do I hook everything back up, get pool water level up to where it should be, put my drain plug back on the filter, then do I take off the multi-valve and fill the filter with water from my hose? I get the feeling I shouldn't let the sand filter fill up from empty to full with the pump. Then run it on rinse for a bit, then backwash, then filter?
Hope this question is in the right spot. I looked at Pool School and it was helpful but I didn't see the answer to my filter question.

Thanks for any help!!

Just hook it up, set the valve to rinse and start the pump. When the water coming out is clear, shut the pump off and switch to filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.