My new pool build

cobra46 said:
As you have probably heard there are literally hundreds of fires burning in California two of which are far enough away that I'm not worried but close enough to make our air very unheathy. If you look again at the sky in the pictures it looks like it's overcast but that's actually smokey air. My pictures were taken later in the day which made everything look more red than it actually is.

How do you manage to breathe?! I'm hundreds of miles away and am having trouble. :?

The pool and deck is looking soooo great :goodjob: You're almost there!

Everyone has been told to stay inside as much as possible. My kids are not happy about having to stay inside all the time and my youngest has developed a slight cough.

It's quite strange that we don't smell the fires anymore. It's kind of like when your in a house where something is cooking and you can't smell it but as soon as someone new comes in they say that it smells really good. I would like to go to the airport and see peoples reactions when they first get off the plane and get their first whiff.

It's actually much better now. We had over 1000 fires burning a week or so ago but some have merely joined reducing the total.

Ok I have some new photos and will try to upload them soon.

My PB stopped by today and installed my equipment. Of course there were two problems. They normally install the Intellipro 4X160 pump but I had specifically told them I wanted the Intelliflo 4X160 because it's slightly more efficient. I even have it documented in my contract. The second issue was that the flexible hose feeding the Polaris booster pump was slightly kinked. This reduces the area and efficiency of the plumbing.

I originally bought an Intellichlor IC-40 SWG on Ebay at a substantial discount compared to what the PB was asking. I had placed the cell and power supply box on the pad when I left for work. When I got home I noticed that there was no SWG power supply box so I opened up the Intellitouch to see is there was a power supply inside. It turns out that there was an integrated power supply but the one I left was gone. I wasn't 100% clear what Intellitouch I was contracted to get. When I called the PB about the two problems I asked about the SWG issue and he said that he upgraded my Intellitouch to the integrated unit but took my power supply with him. Who knows..maybe he plans to sell it on Ebay. It's worth a few hundred bucks. At any rate, I'm happy to have the integrated unit.

I need to find some time to build a gate so I can call for my preplaster inspection. I have all the material already so it shouldn't take too long.

Sorry I haven't been very timely with my updates. Managing this project, working my real job and being a husband and dad doesn't leave much time for TFP updates. I should be able to add my latest concrete photos tomorrow. They are not pool concrete but they are still part of the overall project.

The big news is that I passed my pre-plaster inspection today and I'm getting plastered tomorrow :whoot:. Oh wait a minute....that deserves another :whoot:. Also my spa is getting delivered tomorrow but I haven't quite fiinished the electrical. :(

Our air has cleaned up quite a bit and tomorrow I will take some more pics that should look much better than the previous ones. Something I haven't mentioned is that I have been taking time lapse video of this project. Unforutnately, the video camera lens is not wide angle enough to get the entire pool at one time.

I also want to stitch some photos together of the whole back yard. My yard is not large enought to be able to get far enough away to get the whole thing in one shot.

cobra46 said:
The big news is that I passed my pre-plaster inspection today and I'm getting plastered tomorrow.

I also want to stitch some photos together of the whole back yard. My yard is not large enought to be able to get far enough away to get the whole thing in one shot.

Congrats! I know exactly what you feel like! I have the same problem with my camera -- stitching them seems to be the only way.... (let me know if you need help).

Steve

We are filling as I write. :party:

First I want to catch everyone up. The second day of concrete didn't go so smooth. The good news was that it was on a Saturday so I was there to watch, help and make decisions.

The plan was to fill the retaining wall cells with concrete and then do the flat work on the side of the house which will be boat storage. The first issue was that they made the gate wall at the back of the house 58 inches tall and it needs to be 60 inches to pass inspection. I do plan on putting a 2" cap but we hadn't picked it out just yet so I told the concrrete guy that another course needed to be added. The crew arrived nice and early and woke me up. When I came down they had started the extra course and were filling the wall. I really wanted to verify that the wall was indeed being filled completely. This is when the first minor problem happened. The second truck arrived about 30 minutes earlier than requested and about 10
minutes after the first. He just sat and waited. I knew I wasn't paying extra for standby time and hoped my concrete guys wasn't either.

The second truck got pumped off without any issues. It was cool watching the guys do their jobs. They made it look easy and they all really knew what to do without much direction from the boss. I kept looking to see if
the third and final truck was there but it never showed. They finished nearly everything on the concrete that had been poured to that point and the second truck still wasn't there. I could see that the concrete was really
beginning to set up and the end of the second batch was not at a control joint. The third truck finally showed 2 hours after it was loaded. They said they got lost but I saw that their paperwork had the correct instructions.

The guys had started trying to place a control joint down near the end of the second batch but it was in a spot that didn't match the adjacent driveway's joints. I told them that this is not acceptable and that all the joints needed to match the adjacent driveway. The foreman sent this truck and it's unhappy driver away and ordered a new truck. They said it would be one hour. We had to remove about 1/2 - 3/4 of a yard of partially set up concrete to get back to the previous control
joint.

The end result was pretty good and these guys made the best of a bad situation.

Adding the extra course and filling the wall
136_3664.jpg

136_3667.jpg

136_3680.jpg

Waiting for third truck
136_3693.jpg

Removing concrete back to previous control joint
136_3699.jpg

Waiting for third truck...again
137_3702.jpg

Yesterday I got plastered and began the fill. The plaster crew showed up at about 12:30 and started the fill at about 4:10. I took a meter reading so I can check my capacity.

My new hot tub was delivered also. Things are starting to come together.

Here are some photos: I figured out how to stitch them together and will do a better overall shot later.

137_3767.jpg

137_3771.jpg

137_3777.jpg

137_3779.jpg

138_3812.jpg

138_3822.jpg

stitch01.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congratulations! :cheers: You have done a great job..it's going to be a wonderful oasis for you and your family. I love the pic of the kids watching the pool fill (reminds me of mine, haha) It's hard to be patient when you just want to jump in :)

Can't wait to see more pics as the rest progresses!

VM - Thanks for the kind words. My wife and I have been joking that we can't afford to do anything else but sit out by the pool and eat Top Ramen after spending this much money.

After staring at nothing but earth tones in the back yard for so long it's nice to get some blue back there. Hopefully we'll have some green soon too.

The PB is going to do the high acid startup tomorrow and then no swimming until Monday. We weren't supposed to swim today but I may have cheated a little. I didn't touch the plaster. I guess we can just sit in the spa between brushings.

Sorry I don't have any full pictures yet. I was so busy finishing the spa electrical tonight, I didn't get a chance to take any.

Using four hoses, the fill took 24.5 hours with marginal water pressure. By meter reading, guessing at the volume of two showers, a few toilet flushes and filling a 450 gallon spa, the pool comes in at 25050 gallons. We made sure not to run any other water during this time.

congratulations on your new poo
I happen to live very close to you (Roseville) and am just starting an owner-builder project. I am hoping to use some of your contacts. I sent you a PM as well. Can you give your contact info for the concrete guy? You mentioned somewhere that you know of an unlicensed guy who will do stamped concrete for 3.50/square foot; do you still have his number? Feel free to PM me.
Thanks.

Cobra~

Your pool is WAY COOL! 8)

It will definately add a splash of color all by itself! :mrgreen:

Enjoy your pool!

Kevin I just have to reply to your lovely build.
I'm sittning here with my chin on the dinner table. I'm so impressed with the crews skill that you have hired. Impressive work and it seems to be a speedy build aswell. When they put the rebars together to such complicated pattern they have to weld them toghether, right?

When I saw your ledge I noticed that you have an extra step into the ledge. why didn't I think of that for. I have to convince myself that our pool is to small for something like that :evil:
Can you post a pic showing the pool now when I guess everything is done in the yard?

//Mats

Mats,

Thanks for the kind words. You are correct that the crews were all highly skilled in their respective trades. They make it all look so easy. I think that anyone with average DIY skills can do most of these jobs but it would take a LOT longer.

The rebar is merely tied together with steel wire. It only needs to be held in place until the concrete encases it.

My dad got on me about not post a more complete picture. I will do that by this weekend. Unfortunately, not much got done in the way of landscaping. I still have to finish the low voltage lighting and irrigation before planting.

Kevin

Thanks.

The plaster is Pebble Fina and the color is Grigio. http://www.pebbletec.com/New_PebbleTec_brochure4-08.pdf

My wife and I went to see some sample pools that had all the Pebble products and although we liked the look and wear characteristics of Pebble Tec and Pebble Sheen, we didn't like the feel.

Like most plaster surfaces ours does does have a bit of mottling but not too much. I just realized I never took a picture of my pool after it was filled. I will do that tonight.

BTW - Welcome to TFP :wave:

Kevin

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.