Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Light Re-Installation

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Light Re-Installation

I had a so called pool contractor remodel my pool. He took my SwimQuip light out of my pool which is 110 volt unit.
    He never finished the job and now I have just the empty niche where the light was.

I can install the new one, but I need to know if I can just fish the light cord back through the conduit that goes to the niche. Is there
    anything else that needs to be done. I know the niche is filled with water. Does the pool have to be drained down below
    the niche, let it dry out and then reinstall the wiring and light and then refill the pool.

My concern is the water around the light. I ordered a new light unit and it is perfectly sealed so the water can not get
    to the inside of the light.

Is water suppose to be inside the niche?

Thanks

Tom
    Tom

18 x 36 Grecian Polynesian Fiberglass Walls with Concrete bottom - 3 ft to 9 1/2 ft. deep -
    Hayward Variable Speed Super Pump SP2600VS 1 1/2 True HP,Hayward sand filter S200, and Hayward auto clorinator. Hayward 250,000 natural gas heater. PoolKeeper automatic water leveler. Loop Loc Ultra Solid Safety Cover. Hayward Color Logic 12 volt light. Dual Pool Deck Jets.
    Polaris 380 auto cleaner. Trouble Free Test Kit TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Light Re-Installation

Yes, it's supposed to be wet. Typically you leave enough cord coiled up inside the niche to allow you to pull the light and set it on the deck for bulb replacement.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you so much. That is what I needed to know.
    I thought so because I read on how to install a bulb which is how you said. You have to pull it out and take it to the pool deck so if water was not already in the nich then it surely would get in there when you install a new bulb.

I have a ground fault breaker on the light of course for protection.

Thanks again, now I will get busy and get it installed.

Tom
    Tom

18 x 36 Grecian Polynesian Fiberglass Walls with Concrete bottom - 3 ft to 9 1/2 ft. deep -
    Hayward Variable Speed Super Pump SP2600VS 1 1/2 True HP,Hayward sand filter S200, and Hayward auto clorinator. Hayward 250,000 natural gas heater. PoolKeeper automatic water leveler. Loop Loc Ultra Solid Safety Cover. Hayward Color Logic 12 volt light. Dual Pool Deck Jets.
    Polaris 380 auto cleaner. Trouble Free Test Kit TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, if you have the original cord still in the niche, it's a pretty simple matter to install a new light. What I do is get conduit nylon cord from HD, tie and tape this around the existing cord at the niche end, and then pull it back up at the pool light junction box. Then, you use the same method with the conduit cord taped up around the new cord, and then pull on the nylon cord at the niche to pull it through. If you need, you can get some conduit liquid wax to rub on the new cord to make the pull easier. Also, it really helps to have someone on the opposite side to feed the cord.

If the cord from the old light is not there, it can be possible to just push the cord from the niche end through the empty light niche conduit. This can work if the light junction box is reasonably close to the niche (e.g. 15-20 feet) and the new fixture's cord is beefy. If not, you may need to get a fish tape from the hardware store, and then use this to pull the nylon cord through.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.