water is still cloudy

Aug 8, 2011
Central MA
I seem to have gotten my pool properly shocked, the chlorine levels are now up where they should be, maybe even a bit higher. I've balanced the PH and hardness levels but it's still not clearing up. Not green but not clear. I keep backwashing my filter and I think I simply need to let the thing run longer than I am. :grrrr:

Have you run the overnight loss test? You might be at equilibrium where you kill the algae as fast as it reproduces, so you constantly generate algae carcasses but without the green color.

Next possibility, poor circulation. If the returns point up and the main drain isn't pulling, you're only filtering the top foot or so.

Richard320 said:
Have you run the overnight loss test? You might be at equilibrium where you kill the algae as fast as it reproduces, so you constantly generate algae carcasses but without the green color.

Next possibility, poor circulation. If the returns point up and the main drain isn't pulling, you're only filtering the top foot or so.

Definitely not losing anything. If anything it's too full from all the rain. And it's definitely circulating correctly. I think I'm going to let it run 8 hours a day for a few days and see if that clears it. It's only been properly balanced (needed to add alkaline) for about a day or so, so it's too early to tell.

I should know by the end of the weekend if I got it right or not.

Sulteric said:
Definitely not losing anything. If anything it's too full from all the rain. And it's definitely circulating correctly. I think I'm going to let it run 8 hours a day for a few days and see if that clears it. It's only been properly balanced (needed to add alkaline) for about a day or so, so it's too early to tell.

I should know by the end of the weekend if I got it right or not.
Not water loss, chlorine loss. pool-school/overnight_fc_test UV light from the sun reduces the chlorine. So does algae or other organics. By measuring it after sunset and again before sunrise, you can tell if it's losing any to algae.

You really need your own test kit. If you've been reading around here you'll know how bad pool store "pro" numbers can be. You're just fooling yourself thinking they're "pro's".

Get your own test kit and take control of your pool.

Bama Rambler said:
You really need your own test kit. If you've been reading around here you'll know how bad pool store "pro" numbers can be. You're just fooling yourself thinking they're "pro's".

Get your own test kit and take control of your pool.

They are "pros" pros at getting it wrong haha.

I agree with the statement that I have quoted. I was in the same boat and once I found this site and got my own test kit, I start clearing up my water. Filter needs to run 24/7 until fully cleared or it will be a never ending cycle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.