Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water is still cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

water is still cloudy

I seem to have gotten my pool properly shocked, the chlorine levels are now up where they should be, maybe even a bit higher. I've balanced the PH and hardness levels but it's still not clearing up. Not green but not clear. I keep backwashing my filter and I think I simply need to let the thing run longer than I am.
    27 foot AG, CYA producing in-line Pent-Air Chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: water is still cloudy

If left alone will the matter stay in suspension, or settle on the bottom?
    22'x52" AG Ultra Frame Intex - 12,500 gal (47K liter)
    Manual Liquid Chlorine - 1HP 100# Hayward sand filter
    Lots of sun, trees, pollen & wind - 50ppm Borates
    4nd season grateful TFP fan

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you run the overnight loss test? You might be at equilibrium where you kill the algae as fast as it reproduces, so you constantly generate algae carcasses but without the green color.

Next possibility, poor circulation. If the returns point up and the main drain isn't pulling, you're only filtering the top foot or so.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Have you run the overnight loss test? You might be at equilibrium where you kill the algae as fast as it reproduces, so you constantly generate algae carcasses but without the green color.

Next possibility, poor circulation. If the returns point up and the main drain isn't pulling, you're only filtering the top foot or so.
    Definitely not losing anything. If anything it's too full from all the rain. And it's definitely circulating correctly. I think I'm going to let it run 8 hours a day for a few days and see if that clears it. It's only been properly balanced (needed to add alkaline) for about a day or so, so it's too early to tell.

I should know by the end of the weekend if I got it right or not.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Sulteric
    Definitely not losing anything. If anything it's too full from all the rain. And it's definitely circulating correctly. I think I'm going to let it run 8 hours a day for a few days and see if that clears it. It's only been properly balanced (needed to add alkaline) for about a day or so, so it's too early to tell.

I should know by the end of the weekend if I got it right or not.
    Not water loss, chlorine loss. pool-school/overnight_fc_test UV light from the sun reduces the chlorine. So does algae or other organics. By measuring it after sunset and again before sunrise, you can tell if it's losing any to algae.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Can you post a full set of test results?

If the pool is cloudy you need to be running the pump 24/7 until it clears up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't have the exact numbers off hand. If it doesn't clear up with everything balanced by the end of the weekend I'll take a sample to my store and have it done pro, then I'll post the numbers here.

I'm very close.

8. Back To Top    #8

You really need your own test kit. If you've been reading around here you'll know how bad pool store "pro" numbers can be. You're just fooling yourself thinking they're "pro's".

Get your own test kit and take control of your pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You really need your own test kit. If you've been reading around here you'll know how bad pool store "pro" numbers can be. You're just fooling yourself thinking they're "pro's".

Get your own test kit and take control of your pool.
    They are "pros" pros at getting it wrong haha.

I agree with the statement that I have quoted. I was in the same boat and once I found this site and got my own test kit, I start clearing up my water. Filter needs to run 24/7 until fully cleared or it will be a never ending cycle.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

I admit to using test strips and so far I've never had an issue. At this writing things are clearing up considerably. I predict by the end of the weekend it will be clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

I'll make sure I get the kit recommended here. In the meantime things are clearing up very nicely. Just a matter of filtration.