Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is a little air ok?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is a little air ok?

This is my first year with my pool and still learning. I have cleaned the skimmer basket, cleaned and reseated the pump basket and still get a few tiny bubbles and small "air shots" from the jets. The circulation is fine and water is clear. The pool and all equipment are brand new. I just receveid my test kit and will do my first test this weekend but previous test from pool store are all good.

I am just wondering if some air and small bubbles are expected or should the jets have 0 air?
    16 x 32 inground with Tara Liner, 1 skimmer, 3 returns,
    1HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Polaris 280 w booster pump
    Hayward SWG & Aqua Plus
    k-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Is a little air ok?

There are some tiny, tiny bubbles, almost cloud-like, that may appear when your SWG is operating but I don't think that's what you are talking about, is it?

Air in the see-through lid of the pump strainer basket is never good and indicates your system is not operating very efficiently. That air comes from the suction side of the sytem and, unless it is really tiny, I would try to track it down and fix it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You should not get any air out the returns and there should be only a small bubble or two in the pump basket, if any at all.

Check and reseal the drain plugs.
    Check the skimmer weir to be sure it operates freely.
    Check the water level to be sure it's high enough in the skimmer to prevent it from creating a vortex and sucking in air.
    If none of those produce results, start checking all the valves and fittings on the suction line.

Running water over them whie the pump is running to see if the bubbles go away may help.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The bubbles in the pump basket are small.
    What I noticed was the bubbles in the pool with goggles on looking at the jets. There are small bubbles and some hesitiation or jumpiness with the flow from the jets.....not bad, but it is there. The skimmer wier seems to be fine. The water level is where it should be.
    Which drain plugs do you meant to check and reseal? On the base of the pump?
    There are no valves on that line that I know of.

Thanks
    1HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Hayward SWG & Aqua Plus
    k-2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

They mean you probably have a small leak when the pump is off. Could be anywhere from you skimmer/main drain to your pump impeller.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

6. Back To Top    #6

The drain plugs on the pump basket and impeller casing. Also inspect, clean & lube the basket o-ring and inspect the lid good too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I wanted to follow up with this post. I had our builder to come out a couple of times and was stumped as to why the jets were hesitating and shooting air. He suggested and we did replace the eyballs with the next size down. That did not stop the air, and in fact made the sputtering more pronounced.

Over time this summer, I think I have this figured out. I have always tried to keep the water line on the high side of the middle screw. At that level or above, I have air from the jets as described above. If I let the water get just below the screw, the air goes away! Does this make sense to anyone? I just started keeping the water level a little lower than I originally thought was optimal.
    1HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Hayward SWG & Aqua Plus
    k-2006 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

It does if the weir in the skimmer is missing, or sticking or the wrong size.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Not sure Bama but I checked and thought the weir was ok at all water levels.
    1HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Hayward SWG & Aqua Plus
    k-2006 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I am glad the issue is fixed, but I can't see how lowering the water level did it......water too low is usually what can cause it...not fixes it.
    Dave S.

11. Back To Top    #11

Just to see my own self type. Here's my reasoning.
    I can make mine do it by playing with the weir and/or the water level.
    If I hold the weir down, the water isn't rushing into the skimmer anymore and the suction flow is great enough to create a vortex.
    If I remove the weir or the basket it will create a vortex and suck air in.
    Even with the weir foam piece (floaty stuff) removed, I can lower the water level so that the water is rushing across the weir fast enough to stop the skimmer from creating a vortex.
    If I leave the water level high with the weir float removed it creates a vortex and sucks in air.

Don't ask why I did all the testing. Just chaulk it up to being bored one day.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Well, I have to admit, that makes sense now that you describe it. I would NEVER have thought of that and was puzzled by your first reply.......... leasson learned, never doubt the 'bama man.
    Dave S.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks guys - I am just glad to put my head under the water without hearing all of the sputtering.
    1HP Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Hayward SWG & Aqua Plus
    k-2006 Test Kit