Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing Intellichlor IC40

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing Intellichlor IC40

I will be installing an Intellichlor IC40 this weekend. While planning out the plumbing I came up with an interesting question. Currently I have a 2" line coming from my heater with plenty of room to add the check valve and the cell. However, this line feeds the returns in both my pool and spa. Do I need to isolate the cell so it is only on the pool returns or just shut off the cell when using the spa? The installation manual doesn't reference a pool/spa combo that I can find. I just don't want to super chlorinate the spa when it is in use
    Bill
    18' x 36' Freeform IG Gunite with 7' spa, Super Blue DiamondBrite, Pentair 1.5 hp circulation pump, Pentair 2.0 hp spa booster pump, Pentair Triton II Sand filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, Jandy Laars LX 250k btu NG heater, TF-100 test kit from http://www.tftestkits.com/

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

If you have an automation system controlling the SWG, it can probably adjust the chlorine output automatically when you are in spa mode, in which case you mount the SWG before the split. But if the SWG is running standalone then you want to mount the cell after the split so it only feeds the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks Jason! I was hoping that was not the case because it will increase the complexity of the plumbing a lot.
    Bill
    18' x 36' Freeform IG Gunite with 7' spa, Super Blue DiamondBrite, Pentair 1.5 hp circulation pump, Pentair 2.0 hp spa booster pump, Pentair Triton II Sand filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, Jandy Laars LX 250k btu NG heater, TF-100 test kit from http://www.tftestkits.com/

4. Back To Top    #4

You can still install before split and turn it off when you are not using it. It will be pain in the arse though, and you are quite likely to forget to turn it back on after using spa, and risk your pool go green. If you usually use a spa at certain time, you could just set the timer to turn the chlorinator off for that time.

Or you could make it take water before the split, and output after the split.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Just to follow up. I installed the IC40 last Saturday. The install was a breeze! After further review of the instructions and a call to Pentair. I determined that the SWCG needed to be plumbed before the split. So that's what I did. I haven't been in the spa yet but hopefully my skin wont peel off!
    Bill