Thousands of calcium particles floating in water

AlW

May 18, 2012
I had the calcium cleaned from the tiles by a company that used the “Greenest safest process”, one that supposedly did not require draining the pool.

After the cleaning, I had what appeared to be thousands (and thousands) of calcium particles in the pool. After weeks of scraping and vacuuming, it appeared I had finally removed most all of the particles. Yesterday morning, the pool was again full of thousands of small particles in the water, and the salt cell required cleaning. In the last four weeks or so I have had to clean the cell almost weekly.

The water its self is crystal clear (except for the floating particles) and all chemical levels are within acceptable ranges, FAC – 3, PH – 7.6, Alkalinity – 120, CYA – 60, Calcium Hardness – 290, Salt – 3000, phosphates – 0

Why do I continue to have these particulates reappear?

Thanks in advance for any help on this frustrating matter.

yes, contacted them a week after the cleaning... response was that the hardness (amonst other factors he tried to explain to a non-chemist, me) of the water was excessive and more than likely would need to drain the pool. Said he was concerned about this when they tested the water prior to the cleaning. However three tests for hardness at two different pool supply companies has shown hardness to be 290 - 300.

Hmmm, I think I would ditch them.

I sorta doubt those particles are calcium precipitate as it normally shows in the form of scale on your solid surfaces and is denser than water so it wouldn't float.

Floating particles will probably simply filter out over time but you should consider managing your own pool water. Are you doing that now or do you have a service?

Are these particles visible during the day, or only at night? There will always be small particle you can see by the light of an underwater light at night, while there shouldn't be anything visible during the day.

I take care of my own pool, always have. The particles do settle to the bottom but are blown off the bottom by the pop up cleaning system. If I turn the pop ups off, it all settles to the bottom, which is when I scrape and vacuum them.

Visible during the day.. thousands of them in the water when blown off the bottom of the pool, or if the cleaning system is turned off, large collections of them in every nook and cranny..

The test results above were a week ago. Went to two Leslies outlets today.. interesting how the test results vary from store to store.

first store: FAC:4 PH:7.8 TA:120 CYA:30 Salt:4000 - told him didnt think was correct so he retested: 3800 Phosphates:100

second store FAC:5 TAC:5 Salt:3100 (my gauges show 3000) CYA:0 TA:110 PH:8.0 Acid Demand:3 Phosphates:0

I usually add the acid every Saturday so can see where the PH should be high. Not sure why from a week ago the CYA has dropped so much but still holding the Chlorine levels.

Now that I'm home (and have my glasses on.. LOL) I see that no test for CH was done despite my request for one..

[attachment=0:i4022x1c]cal.jpg[/attachment:i4022x1c]I got calcium precipitate as a result of my disasterous oxalic acid experiment. Apparantly people have tried to patent it for calcium removal in pools.
This is what is looked like..

Attachments

• cal.jpg
    cal.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 93
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.