Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Submersible Pump for Watering Lawn

1. Back To Top    #1

Submersible Pump for Watering Lawn

Anyone here use a submersible pump in their pool for watering their lawn? Given that I occasionally drain some water out of my pool a few times each year I was wondering about watering the lawn and vegetation with it instead of just draining all in one spot. I have a sump pump that I use as my homemade aerator but when I tried fitting to a garden hose it only produced enough pressure to drive the sprinkler a few feet high. So I'm assuming there is a different kind of pump needed.
    Not a big deal but would sure be nice to use pool water in these cases instead of paying a higher water bill to water the lawn AND refill the pool.
    13K Gal, In-Ground, Fiberglass, Cartridge filter (Jandy CL340 127 flowrate), 1 HP Pump (Jandy PlusHP)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Submersible Pump for Watering Lawn

the submersible pump will not produce enough pressure.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Actually doesn't have to be submersible. What kind of pump would be recommended for this?
    13K Gal, In-Ground, Fiberglass, Cartridge filter (Jandy CL340 127 flowrate), 1 HP Pump (Jandy PlusHP)

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't use a sprinkler, I just lay the hose on the lawn and let it flood and move it every so often.

I've also stopped using the submersible. For whatever reason, there's a hose fitting on my return line, so I just tap onto that to drain and water at the same time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I tried the submersible pump last year when I was trying to make a homemade solar unit work but lo and behold the pump broke internally and I had an Exxon Valdeze(sp) in my pool. The pump's motor used oil internally to lube the parts and when it broke the oil leaked out. I then tried a lawn pump that I had to use pvc pipe from the pump to the pool and it works great and no worries because the pump sits on the ground and not in the water.
    18'x52" Intex round AGP, 2650 Krystal Clear SWG pump with sand filter and a Hayward H100ID pool heater. TF100 test kit to keep the water sparkly clean.