Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: For how long do you keep your pump running?

1. Back To Top    #1

For how long do you keep your pump running?

I live in Tampa Bay Florida and had my pool filled on May 03rd 2012 with around 14K gallons.
    My pool builder setup the Pentair Intelliflo Variable speed pump to work everyday from 9AM to 5PM. Is this the right time? 8 hours?
    Today he installed the Pentair Great White vacuum.
    My electrician and plumber suggested that I call my local energy company to find out when is the peak and off peak hours and then
    setup the pump to work 50% on peak and 50% off peak.
    Any suggestions?

I noticed that the PB closed the 2 maindrains and almost closed the 2 skimmers while living the vacuum on. Again, is this the right way?

Thanks in advance.
    15x34 in ground, 16.5K gallons, Emerald Isle pebble finishing
    Pentair IntelliFlow VS-3050 pump
    Pentair Quad D.E. filter
    Pentair IntelliChlor
    Pentair IntelliBrite 5g LED light
    Pentair Great White Vacuum cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: For how long do you keep your pump running?

I would follow what the PB says for the first couple of weeks.
    I run my pump at night during off peak hours which for me are 7PM - noon. I'm only running the pump for about 4 hours a night right now. I'll be bumping it up to soon though as the temps will be staying above 100 consistently for the next few months. I'm not sure why they would suggest running the pump 1/2 on peak and 1/2 off peak. It would be more economical to run the pool during off peak hours. Aslo a good way to judge run time is by the look of the water. If its cloudy or a bit dirty looking bump the time up a bit.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

All pump run times vary by the pool, bather load, etc. Start by running your pump 10-12 hours daily st any time that works for you and then slowly bring run time down as long as the pool is clean. Peak or off-peak is something you can calculate but, frankly, probably isn't worth the trouble for many residential electrical rates....others it might be.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Pump run time is more art than science. It's going to be trial-and-error, because every pool is different. Different filters, different pumps, different bather loads, different amounts of blown-in dust and debris.

I sucked my spa down about 6", and timed the emptying and refilling. I averaged the two and crunched some numbers to get a close approximation of my flow rate, then crunched some more numbers and figured out that just under 4 hours ought to circulate 16000 gallons, my pool size. So that's what I run it. It gets more filtering when I'm vacuuming or dosing. Once it cools down and we stop swimming, I reduce it. 2.5 hours is enough to keep it clear over the winter. And again, it gets more filtering when I'm vacuuming or dosing.

I bought another set of timer dogs at the local Ace hardware, so during the summer I give it an hour midday to mix it up and 3 hours in the evening when we're most likely to be swimming.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I live in Plant city, and run the pump from 9:30 till 7:00 to get the most out of the solar heaters. I have a 13K in ground.

6. Back To Top    #6

My electric rates are same all day. I've got a SWCG, I run about 5-6 hours total 2-3 hours from 10 to noon, then 2-3 hours 4pm to 7pm. Still messing with the timex though.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

I am on average billing and run my pump all the time. I have not really noticed a difference in this vs when I would turn it on and off.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I sucked my spa down about 6", and timed the emptying and refilling. I averaged the two and crunched some numbers to get a close approximation of my flow rate, then crunched some more numbers and figured out that just under 4 hours ought to circulate 16000 gallons, my pool size.
    That's funny. I just did the same thing recently...
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

9. Back To Top    #9

What will happen is when they got to recompute your monthly payment, I think they do it yearly, the bill will go up.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida