AquaCal heat pump not big enough? or is it just me?

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
I have an AquaCal heat pump, not sure of the model number, but the string of numbers on the side plate are 120AHDEBNB (not exactly the same model #'s as listed on the manual), and I have a 16,800 gal. "jewel" shaped pool (8' deep).
That sucker doesn't seem to work well (had it for 2 seasons, was installed with the pool build), but maybe it's me. It seems like it runs ALOT in early/late season, doesn't help raise the water temp much at all, and my electric bill seems to skyrocket (I do run my pool pump 24/7, so I'm sure that's also not helping).
Maybe I'm too cinchy on the run time, and should just let the AquaCal run 24/7 until I get the temp.s I want.
I did get a solar blanket last year, and that helps maintain heat at night, but the heat pump still runs alot at night in early/late season, just to maintain the temps. My wife likes it to eventually be 86 degrees or so in the water, and I'm in VA, so obviously we're asking for alot.
Does it sound like my PB possibly undersized my heat pump? My PB is picky about his equipment choices, but my buddy has a Heat Siphon (5 HP) Heat Pump, and a MUCH larger pool than mine (20x40), and he swears that his pump heats his water fine and doesn't add alot to his electric...even in late season.
Sorry for the long question, but I was just curious as to whether this heat pump is enough for my pool...or if anyone had any operating suggestions to get more out of it.
I was tempted to have my PB come by and check it out, but it seems like it is operating fine (last ran it in Oct., but the air coming out of the fan was noticeably cooler than the ambient temp.).
Thanks for any help!

Your heat pump gives 109,000 btu/hour (6.5 btu/gallon), which isn't very much for a pool, though small units are fairly common with heat pumps. Also, the output will fall when the outside temperature is colder, so you aren't going to get nearly as much heat out of it at night this time of year. We have a 198,000 btu/hour gas heater and a 19,000 gallon pool (10.5 btu/gallon) and we are lucky if we can get a 1 degree increase per hour when the sun is shinning directly on the pool.

If you don't already have a solar cover you should get one, they make a huge difference.

tnthudson said:
I have an AquaCal heat pump, not sure of the model number, but the string of numbers on the side plate are 120AHDEBNB (not exactly the same model #'s as listed on the manual), and I have a 16,800 gal. "jewel" shaped pool (8' deep).
That sucker doesn't seem to work well (had it for 2 seasons, was installed with the pool build), but maybe it's me. It seems like it runs ALOT in early/late season, doesn't help raise the water temp much at all, and my electric bill seems to skyrocket (I do run my pool pump 24/7, so I'm sure that's also not helping).
Maybe I'm too cinchy on the run time, and should just let the AquaCal run 24/7 until I get the temp.s I want.
I did get a solar blanket last year, and that helps maintain heat at night, but the heat pump still runs alot at night in early/late season, just to maintain the temps. My wife likes it to eventually be 86 degrees or so in the water, and I'm in VA, so obviously we're asking for alot.
Does it sound like my PB possibly undersized my heat pump? My PB is picky about his equipment choices, but my buddy has a Heat Siphon (5 HP) Heat Pump, and a MUCH larger pool than mine (20x40), and he swears that his pump heats his water fine and doesn't add alot to his electric...even in late season.
Sorry for the long question, but I was just curious as to whether this heat pump is enough for my pool...or if anyone had any operating suggestions to get more out of it.
I was tempted to have my PB come by and check it out, but it seems like it is operating fine (last ran it in Oct., but the air coming out of the fan was noticeably cooler than the ambient temp.).
Thanks for any help!

sounds about right for a heat pump. gas heaters are faster.

BTW, YOUR in the WRONG part of VA. we had 75 degrees yesterday. according to the news were gunna be 80s for the rest of the week :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.