Help Identifying pipes to pump

Jun 12, 2011
I have identified all my pipes and their purpose except for one.

see attached photo. can someone tell me what turning the valve on this does? besides cutting off all water to the pump?

Attachments

• 2012-05-17 22.34.35.jpg
    2012-05-17 22.34.35.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 68
Poolsean said:
If you have a spa, it's probably from the spa skimmer or bottom drain. OR if you don't have a spa, it may be from an isolated suction line (usually for a suction type cleaner).

I do not have a spa, but there is a bottom drain. When I bought the house, there was a suction robot in the basement (does not have wheels), but we were unsuccessful at getting it to work last yr. There is no dedicated vac line.

We attached the robot to one of the skimmer lines, and it wouldn't work. I have tried two robots.

When I turn the valve my husband did not notice anything happening, he was holding his hand over the skimmer intake, and nothing happened. He was looking around and did not see anything happen. When I was at the pump closing off each end did not increase the filter psi and it did not constrict water to the pump (i could tell by looking at the window).

Here are more pics

Attachments

• 2012-05-17 22.34.51.jpg
    2012-05-17 22.34.51.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 2012-05-17 22.35.10.jpg
    2012-05-17 22.35.10.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 55
Yes, as it will help direct more suction to the skimmer that you're plugged into, plus, it will prevent the cleaner from getting stuck on the bottom drain. You shouldn't have to close off the bottom drain line all the way, but then again if you do, you can think of your cleaner as a moving bottom drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.