Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Identifying pipes to pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Identifying pipes to pump

I have identified all my pipes and their purpose except for one.

see attached photo. can someone tell me what turning the valve on this does? besides cutting off all water to the pump?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20 x 40 inground pool, 30K gal, vinyl liner, 1.5 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount S244T sand filter (300lbs sand) with 62GPM design flow fate, Polaris 380 Pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help Identifying pipes to pump

If you have a spa, it's probably from the spa skimmer or bottom drain. OR if you don't have a spa, it may be from an isolated suction line (usually for a suction type cleaner).
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean
    If you have a spa, it's probably from the spa skimmer or bottom drain. OR if you don't have a spa, it may be from an isolated suction line (usually for a suction type cleaner).
    I do not have a spa, but there is a bottom drain. When I bought the house, there was a suction robot in the basement (does not have wheels), but we were unsuccessful at getting it to work last yr. There is no dedicated vac line.
    20 x 40 inground pool, 30K gal, vinyl liner, 1.5 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount S244T sand filter (300lbs sand) with 62GPM design flow fate, Polaris 380 Pool cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

where was the suction robot connected? What happens when you turn the valve to left (blocking flow from the right side pipes). What happens when you turn the valve to the right?
    Can you pull back and take another photo?

5. Back To Top    #5

We attached the robot to one of the skimmer lines, and it wouldn't work. I have tried two robots.

When I turn the valve my husband did not notice anything happening, he was holding his hand over the skimmer intake, and nothing happened. He was looking around and did not see anything happen. When I was at the pump closing off each end did not increase the filter psi and it did not constrict water to the pump (i could tell by looking at the window).

Here are more pics

6. Back To Top    #6

I got creative

7. Back To Top    #7

Your last photos seems to be correct.

8. Back To Top    #8

When I plug the vac in should I adjust the bottom drain valve at all?

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, as it will help direct more suction to the skimmer that you're plugged into, plus, it will prevent the cleaner from getting stuck on the bottom drain. You shouldn't have to close off the bottom drain line all the way, but then again if you do, you can think of your cleaner as a moving bottom drain.