HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to turn

NikiBelle

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2012
Knoxville, TN
As I type this, honestly, I am so close to tears, because I am in a complete mess.

A tiny bit of history: I have a 13,600 gal above ground pool. It is 13 years old and have used Bacquacil in the past with great success. However, the person that lived with me and took care of the pool is not here any longer. Now, it's my baby.

Fast forward till present....

I did not use a cover over my pool and got a ton of leaves in it. I had scooped and scooped and thought i had them out...i didn't. However, i couldn't see any because it is so cloudy and green. As i said i currently use Bacquacil, and so far this season I have spent over 400 dollars, still have a slimy green pool with no light at the end of the tunnel. I've done everything they've told me to do and have heard "this will do it" till i'm about to scream. Last thing they (the mighty pool store people) told me to do was flock it. Which i did. It cleared it up a little and actually got rid of the green, or so i thought, and i could see a lot of leaves in the middle of the pool on the bottom. So, today i go try and vacuum with the following problems..

My pump constantly quit working correctly because my basket got filled up with leaves and it couldn't suck water through the vacuum anymore. I could only vacuum about 2 minutes before the leaves would either clog up the hose from the vacuum or the hose to the pump. Is there not an easier way to get this crud out? If i just use the net and pole it churns the water up so much that i can't see in about 2 minutes and don't know where the leaves are at. Oh and my pool is now green again.

In my kitchen i have 4 bottles of Bacqacil and the sanitizer stuff that goes with it. When i test my water it says i don't have any Bacquacil even though i've now put in around 4 bottles in the past couple of months. I'm thinking it just keeps getting backwashed out.

A couple of days ago a friend told me about this site. I'm perplexed, bewildered and at my wits end.

I've read a little over this site and just don't know what the heck to do at this point. There is a lot of information and i'm overwhelmed. Thought about dumping the water but wow what a mess in my yard it would make and the expenses of adding that much water again, not to mention time. I've probably already wasted the 400+ dollars so switching over to the method you all are discussing really wouldn't cost me any more i'm thinking.

I have a green cloudy pool with leaves in the bottom. Have used Bacquacil to the tune of 400 this year but my test kit says there is no Bacquacil in there. Is there? and where do i go from here????

I need help. Thanks to anyone who will shoot me some advice. It is needed and appreciated!!!!!

Re: HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to

Hi welcome to TFP! I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with your pool. I can't speak to the accuracy of the baquacil test, but I do believe you will be much happier and a little richer in the long run if you switch over to chlorine.

There is a google search at the bottom left corner of the page and you can search "baquacil conversion" to pull up several threads where folks have documented the conversion process. It looks a little scary at first, the pool will turn all kinds of nasty colors before it starts to clear and you will go through a lot of bleach but it is worth the trouble.

I know you don't want to hear about spending any more money right now, but a high quality FAS-DPD test kit such as theTF 100 is a necessity for the conversion process and for maintaining the pool thereafter. It is an investment in your pool and will serve you well.

If you decide to convert to chlorine we will be here to help and offer advice. Be sure to take and post plenty of pictures. We love pictures!

PS: Keep scooping out the leaves. Even if you are scooping blind stirring up all that junk will enable the filter to catch it and filter it out. If leaves are a frequent problem in your pool consider getting an inline leaf canister. It attaches to the vacuum hose and catches the leaves before they get to your pump basket.

:wave: Welcome :wave:

Just an added note. If you do decide to convert, go with the TF100 kit AND get the XL option ... you will have to be doing a lot of testing and getting the XL options will ensure you do not run out in the process.

Here is the whole section devoted to Baq and conversions:
baquacil-use-and-conversion-f44.html

And here is the How To guide:
pool-school/baqua_chlorine_conversion

Thank you so much for the fast reply. And yes i do want to switch over after hearing the words on this site and knowing how much this Bacquacil nightmare is causing me.

I am thinking that buying that test kit is number one and then going step by step on the conversion if i'm understanding correctly? Is it ok to do this with still possibly leaves in the bottom of the pool? I can't see anything because it is so green but chances are they are there. Is it ok to start the conversion anyway? Will this help clear it up somewhat so i can see the leaves to get them out? LOL sorry if my questions are silly. I'm truly at my wits end. Thanks.

The more stuff you can scoop out with a leaf rake the better as then the chlorine can work harder on the Baq and not the leaves. But it is not required to get them all out now, eventually the water will clear enough where you can see the debris and then scoop it out.

If the Baq is really very low, then the conversion may be quicker than you think, although who knows if the test is accurate.

Can you return the unopened stuff you have and use the money toward the kit or liquid chlorine from the pool store?

Great suggestion JBlizzle. I'll call them in the morning and ask. It would be nice to get something i can actually benefit from for over 400 bucks.

I'll keep ya posted and post a pic of my green pool and hopefully will see the clearing as soon as possible.

Thanks again for the wonderful help. I feel like i can at least breath a little. I have a plan. :-D

Having used baqua for over 15 years I fully can promise you this...it's expensive! Your best bet no matter what you do is spend a few hours outside with some music pumping and you taking out all the leaves. The baquacil now, or the chlorine later will try to "attack" them thus leaving them unable to kill the other stuff in your pool. If you want to keep baquacil, next add the shock and let the pump run overnight (if it can, I know often mine would lose prime when water was green). Then add more shock. Going from memory I THINK it's 1 gallon for every 10k gallons. Your shock is being used up trying to attack anything living in the pool....thus the zero reading. Just as shocking with chlorine, a frequent attack of Baquacil shock will be your friend. After that you'll start with the sanitizer, then algicide (make sure it's the premium one, same as poly 60 to my best of reading), then you'll add more shock once a month, or if needed.

As others stated, a swap to chlorine is Another option. So far this year I've went from a green opening to a sparkling blue pool with only spending $60 in just over a month. It takes some getting used to, trusting yourself and not the "experts" at the pool store, but we're here to help you out.

Welcome to TFP.

As stated above, there are lots of people here that are glad to help you. Getting as many leaves out as possible would be a good thing but don't wait to begin the conversion because you think there are more in there. You can scoop them out as the conversion is taking place.

It'll take a lot of bleach so be ready for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You all ROCK!!!!

I am definately gonna switch. As per advice here, i called the pool store and asked if they would give me a credit and they will. So i'll see if they have that specific type of testing kit that you say to get.

Now a totally dumb question. I keep reading and reading here and it will take a lot of time for it to totally sink in and i'm aware of that. But, my question is...when you say bleach or liquid chlorine: The liquid chlorine i'm aware is the stuff you can buy anywhere like Wal-Mart or whatever. But, when you say bleach, and i do remember reading it is about 1/2 the strength of liquid chlorine, you are talking about regular ole bleach I can buy at the supermarket that i put in my clothes right? I just didn't want to buy that and put it in the pool and then hear "OMG not THAT bleach". LOL so just checking.

I work weekends so Monday, i will take back the bacquacil and get the tester kit and the other things that were recommended. Then i'm going to get that leaf picker upper. THEN it's bleach day.

Will post pics.

Again, you all ROCK!!!!! Thanks for the info and for putting up with the questions of a newbie who is more green at this than my pool.

:wink:

Yes, when we say bleach it is regular unscented 6% laundry bleach. We are glad to help. Look forward to seeing those pictures!

Yes...store bought Bleach...I'm new here also...and been reading everything I can from the Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/

check out the visual dictionary for a picture of Clorax and Great Value Bleach
pool-school/visual_encyclopedia

From what is BBB?
pool-school/bbb_for_pools
Bleach
Sodium Hypochlorite

At the pool store this is called liquid chlorine or liquid shock and is available in concentrations of 6%, 10% or 12.5%. At the grocery store it is called Chlorine Bleach and is usually 5.25% or 6%. You want the unscented stuff, NOT the stuff with fragrances, thickeners, etc. Just plain old chlorine bleach!

The store brands and generics are just as good as the name brand as long as the strength is 5.25% for regular and 6% for ultra. There are some cheap ones out there that are only 3%. You can use them but you will need twice as much as the ultra for the same chlorine level in your pool. You can also use liquid chlorine from the pool store (it is normally about double the strength of ultra bleach but otherwise identical). Check prices and see which is a better deal in your area. This is your chlorine source for both daily chlorination and shocking.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/bbb_for_pools

The test kit strongly suggest is the TF-100. It's ONLY online. Buy from Dave and he'll have it on the way ASAP! You've got a shot at the Taylor K-2006 but it's a long shot at best. From the pool store buy 4 pounds of CYA, a bottle of muriatic acid, and the rest go for liquid chlorine. :D Read up on Pool School....and get ready to enjoy some CLEAN water. :D

stev32k, you're right, that leaf picker upper is a jewel. It'll pick them up even if you can't see them but it's kind of fun to watch when you can see it too! Kind of a rewarding feeling for the effort put forth!

Bleach, hypo, sodium hypochlorite, liquid chlorine, liquid shock; are all the same thing. It comes in strengths from less than 3% to about 12.5%. We normally refer to 10 & 12% as liquid chlorine but they're all sodium hypochlorite.

You can change the % in the pool calculator so it will show the proper quantity to add.

Like said before, finding a good test kit locally is a long shot. Ask if they gave one with a FAS-DPD test ... they may not know what you are talking about.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

OK so...tomorrow is the big day to get started anyway. If they don't have a good testing kit at the pool store i can get with my credit then i'll order one tomorrow. I'm guessing i better not start the big bleaching party until i have the leaves out and the testing kit in hand.

It will be exciting though, just starting the start of preparations lol.

Thanks again ya'll and i'll post a greeeeeeeen pool pic...day one pic ...tomorrow!!!!

I'm convinced and excited but i need a little time to prepare. My goal is to start next Monday. I'm going to the pool store today to trade in my Bacqu-yuk for 4 pounds of CYA, a bottle of muriatic acid, and the rest go for liquid chlorine, as Leebo suggests. And i'm ordering the leave picker upper that Stev32k suggested. And i'm ordering the TF100 XL this week. I suppose i'll try and look for some sales or coupons for Bleach as well.

I've been reading and reading. Thanks for the links and information. It still feels a little over my head, but i'm trying hard to understand it all.

A couple more questions for my preparation week....

I have some Bio Guard maintain balance pack 200 pH increaser which is Sodium Caronate 100%. Will this work when it is time to increase my pH? Does this stuff have Bacqa-yuk in it or is it just the name brand and it will be safe for the conversion. I have about 6 pounds of this stuff.

Also there is one step i'm mostly scared of and that is changing my sand. I've never done that, is it hard? Oh and one more thing...my pressure gauge on my pump doesn't seem to be working. Is that hard to change? That may be when i get with my credit at the pool store.

Sorry i'm such a mess with all of this, but i warned ya!!! LOL

Going to take a pic of pool at preconversion...i'll be back to post it.

Ok here we are.... THIS after almost 500 dollars so far with Bacqa-yuk....

100_1345.jpg

100_1333.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.