HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to turn

Re: HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to

I can't check on PC from here but if 5 is the upper number for range, that's great. But, in truth, like everything else here, the important factor is your target number, regardless of the chart, should allow you to ALWAYS stay above the minimum FC for your CYA. My c y a is 40, I need to get my FC to about 7FC to hold it above my minimum due to my sun and bather load.

NikiBelle said:
...I don't see how my pool could get any clearer btw..

Well well Nikibelle!! You have come a long way. Looking at your latest picture, I do believe your fiter will clean your water another bit yet. You'll be surprised how clear it can get!! I'm judging this from looking at your ladder in the last picture you posted. It still seems to be a little cloudy. If that is the case, it will clear.

Yes, that's why i keep putting the ladder in the pic GreatCanadian, cause it is easier to judge when you can see it. Yes those numbers were this morning after adding bleach last night to get to a goal of 8. So, i'm thinking i lost 1 FC overnight. I haven't went under the water to swim yet. I think i'll try it today and open my eyes and see if they burn. With a pH of 7.5 i'm hoping they don't. I guess my pH is on target as well. My TA is high but with the CYA running around in there, maybe that will come down a little?

Techguy, the PC says FC minimum 3, target 5. So, now, everynight, i need to check my FC and add enough to bring it to 5...if i'm thinking right??? Not sure about that CYA, but i'll just play it with a level of 40 until i can check and make certain next week?

*laughing at myself for using all these acronyms and actually knowing what they mean!!!!!

Let it drop to 5 and see if it clouds. Now that you know what it can look like you can experiment with levels within the calculator range. If at 5 it clouds the take it back to 8 until it clears then try 6 and so on.

Ok you got a deal!!!!

Now where did i put that snorkel at? I've not used it in 3 years!!!!

Have a great Thursday all!!!!

It's Sunday for me and Leebo!!!! Back to work tomorrow but will be nice to come home and dive, not literally, into my pool!!!!

I'm so excited when i think about checking my levels tonight and adding what i need to.

Oh lordy, lordy, what have ya'll done to me!!!!! :|

When did you put in the CYA? If it's dissolved 2 or 3 days you could test for it if you have lots of reagent (if you don't have lots, don't waste it on a test now). It probably won't show up but you might get a higher reading than previously. If you KNOW you've put in enough stabilizer for 40 ppm then don't bother testing. Treat your water as if it has 40ppm CYA. Also, according to your numbers, I would have no fear of swimming in your water, and opening my eyes underwater. It's fine in my opinion.

Ok ty GreatCanadian. I added CYA originally prior to my pump dying, to get it to 20. Then i tested after i got my new pump up and running and i really do not like that test it is so hard. I was "guessing" it was around 20 when i retested. I could still see the black dot but it was cloudy and since i had lost my pump the water hadn't circulated all that much since i had added.

So, i added more CYA yesterday and gauged it on a 20 reading and added enough for 20 more.

So yeah, i'll check next week and see where i'm at. Thanks!!!!

Good plan. In my opinion it is always better to have too little CYA than too much. I would rather add chlorine than drain and refill. So I like to sneak up on the level I want.

OK.. back to a full computer and I looked the PoolCalc and if you had a 20CYA and you added enough to get to 40CYA, then you should "assume" you have 40 until it shows up in the test next week when you can actually confirm it.

So, I see the PC says with a 40CYA that the minimum is 3FC and the target is 7FC.

This is what do for my pool and its very similar to yours in size and shape (21 Round,52 walls). I find if I get a solid 7FC in the evening adjustment, I am above the minimum the next evening. ON the HOT (100F+, no humidity) and I have a bunch of kids in the pool, I am close to the minimum but like this week with 80F and no kid, it stays well above the minimum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Oh ok. The Chlorine/CYA chart says low is 3 and target is 5. But, yeah the other chart gives more of a range up to 7.

I've been swimming with a friend for about 2 hours and did exercising in there (swimming across and back 10 times and walking back and forth 10 times and paddling with my feets while leaning on the float 10 times) scrubbed the sides good as well. THAT in itself is great exercise. Hoping that may help lower my TA a little too.

Checked my FC and it is 4. Went down from 7 this morning. But, still ok. I'll give it an hour or so and check again. I guess the sun and all that movement is leaking that chlorine out. It's ok though. Golly, it's a goal that seems easy to me compared to what i've been doing.

Wooooo. I had a post dedicated to me. You're the bestest bleach shorts xox :p

That water looks awesome on its own. Compared to a few weeks ago, it doesn't even look like the same pool :D

Wow! What a trial of patience!! I've been reading for longer than I care to admit. My butt is numb. LOL!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! We are in the construction stage right now... waiting for gunite to cure, before the plaster goes on. It should be finished mid August. I'm trying to read all I can to prepare myself for what's ahead. My husband has already informed me that he is not going to be responsible for the upkeep of the pool. You have certainly given me hope!! I am new to this forum, and can already see there are tons of great people here that are willing to help. We did have an above ground pool at one time, and ran into the "green monster" problem. I do remember using floc towards the end, and it did finally get the last bit cleared up.

You have done a great job Niki! I have faith that you will have dancing water 365 days a year now!! I'm hoping that for me too! Good luck!!!

Thank you imrodee. Yes i believe using flock toward the end is the way to speed things up. At the beginning it didn't do me a bit of good. At the end it was my lifesaver. Good luck to you and will look forward to reading your posts!!!!

Just a little update...

Pool is wonderful. Crystal clear. I didn't know how wonderful the feeling would be to see the sun dancing on the bottom of the pool. I'm so proud of that LOL.

Checking FC every evening and keeping it around 5. I'm using about 3-4 gallons of bleach a week to keep it at that level. HUGE improvement. I would say i'm still shy on my CYA level and i'll check that this afternoon and add more if needed. Hope everyone is enjoying their pools!!!!!!

Here is a couple pics from just now.

100_1513.jpg

100_1514.jpg

:wave: Nikki that is great!!! :goodjob: You have sure come along way!!!! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: By the way, do you mind if I ask where you bought your new ladder and how easy is it to use coming out of the pool?

LOL! Robbie - it DOES look like it's floating in mid air!

So Niki, now that you are 100% under control, what is your "normal" chemical routine?

Thanks!!!!

Poolmama67....I didn't get a new ladder. Just scrubbed the one i had. I would much rather have steps but wow are they expensive. I also have pets that i will feel better if i had steps. It's not too bad getting out and in. I go in front first sorta like it is steps..but getting out, you do climb but it's only 4, not too bad.

That float DOES look like it's on air. How cool is that!!!

imrodee...I'm still learning but what is working so far is this...

I brush the sides and bottom a couple of times per week when i get in. Sometimes more and sometimes less. I vacuum weekly and it takes less than 10 minutes.

Every evening I check my FC and add what is needed of bleach to keep me 4-7 FCs which is equivalent of about 1 gallon every other day so far. I also go ahead and check my CC just cause i'm nosey and i wanna make sure i don't have any ickies in there. Takes around 5 minutes. I will admit i have missed a night here and there and it didn't seem to matter, although, i wouldn't want to miss many.

I check the pH and CYA weekly for now. I know my TA is high but hopefully is coming down the more we splash around.

Also, this past week i have turned my pump off to let it rest every other night from about 10pm until around 8 am. So far so good, no problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.