HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to turn

Re: HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to

A TA of 190 will almost double the amount of acid needed from pool calculator's default of a TA of 100, so that explains why you weren't getting the results you were looking for.

Test pH, plug in numbers in pool calculator, making sure to change gallons and TA, and lower to 7.2.
Then start shocking.

ok. Just added more MA. Will keep working with pH and go get chlorine. It's suppose to rain off and on the next several days. I hope that's ok. Seems like i read that sunshine takes away the chlorine so i'm thinking that it may be a good thing it's cloudy.

Soon as i get the pH down and get my bleach...i'll start showing pics...will be later today.

Thanks so much everyone!!!!!

Ok pH now 7.2ish or a little less maybe.

Started bleach. Took all that Lowes had and yeah got quite a few looks.

First round of bleach in at 2:30pm.

This is the first pic.

100_1372.jpg

Checked my TC and it seems to be around 1.5. Now, what is shock level of chlorine that i'm shooting for? The pool calculator doesn't have a TC.

What should i measure and what should the goal be while i'm shocking?

Thanks!!!!

The "Total Chlorine" is the "Free Chlorine" plus "Combined Chlorine" (which ideally is Zero!).
So if your FC is 5, your CC is 1, your TC would be 6. Capisce?

The FC is what is available to fight the cooties and nasties. The CC tells you that you've got cooties and nasties that the chlorine is trying to deal with.

You'll get the hang of this stuff.. I'm fairly new to it also and it makes so much more sense to me than what the pool store ever said!

Looking back, you said that you bought the 100XL kit. You should have the FAS/DPD kit. It will be a powder and a couple of reagents. It is the test you will need to be performing while shocking - you add the powder, sample turns pink, add drops until it clears. That will be FC. Then add in 5 drops of next reagent. If it turns pink, you have CCs. Add in drops until it clears and you get your CC amount.

You want to raise your FC to 15 ppm as often as possible. You can use your FAS-DPD FC test to measure FC...you have a tf-100 test kit? Since I am assuming you got the 1.5 TC from the OTO TC test (the taylor T-1000 kit)...just go ahead and dose the pool up to 15 ppm FC assuming that your FC right now is zero.
Keep re-reading the baqua to chlorine article, it has most of the detail in there or in the links in there: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/baqua_chlorine_conversion

aa62579 said:
What is your CYA? That will tell you what shock level to use.
NikiBelle probably has no cya, since this is a baqua conversion. The FC level to shoot for in baqua conversions is 15 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ok this is what i did....

The CYA test was a bomb i guess. Maybe i didn't do it right? I always saw the black dot, all the way to the top.

The FC is very subjective so here are my results.....it turned white at drop number 7. Clearish at drop number 16.

The CC was clearish at 9.

????

aa62579 said:
linen said:
aa62579 said:
What is your CYA? That will tell you what shock level to use.
NikiBelle probably has no cya, since this is a baqua conversion. The FC level to shoot for in baqua conversions is 15 ppm.

Duh. Thanks. I have edited my response above to avoid confusing the OP.

LOL it's too late and i was confused before this post anyway.

aa62579 said:
NikiBelle said:
LOL it's too late and i was confused before this post anyway.

LOL, to put a positive spin on it, you came up with a CYA of zero and it sounds like that is what it should be!!

Wonderful and here i thought because i could still see that black dot i was in a deep mess. LOL

So...

FC 4.5

Just stocked pool with 300 more oz of bleach.

Now, i just keep checking that every 30 minutes or so and adjusting. Right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.