HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to turn

Re: HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to

Balance pack 200 pH increaser is fine to use.

The gauge on the filter is easy to replace, they screw in and out. You just need a little teflon tape to put on the threads before putting in the new one. Pool stores will sell them, usually around $10.

Replacing the sand involves some labor, how much depends on what kind of filter you have. The filters where the entire top half comes off are comparatively easy to do, as you have good access. The filters with a multi-port valve on top can be annoying because you have a fairly small hole that you need to do everything through. Having a good shop vac helps tremendously.

Took back my bacqua stuff and they did give me a credit so i got the leave picker upper and a new pressure gauge and some muriatic acid. Went by the grocery store and picked up some baking soda and some borax and priced the bleach.

Now, i'll just wait on my testing kit and then start next Monday. That will give me time this week to try and get all the leaves and debris out i hope.

I'm getting really excited.

Thanks so much for those posting in here and helping me. I feel lots better.

Welcome to the forum NikiBelle :wave:

Lots of us waiting for your conversion. You and your pool will be so much happier.

Congrats on following all the advice so far. You are doing extremely well :goodjob:

okay now, remember to post lotsa pics :-D ::epds::

So, finally ready to start this process. We have scooped up all of the leaves at the bottom that we could and now our pool is just an algae pond.

Received our kit and have tested the pH ...it is very high, so going by that chart and putting 8.2 and we added 23 ounces of muriatic acid.

What else do i need to check? I keep seeing the FC or CC needs to be 0 but i can't find a test for that in the kit. Is that the same thing as the CYA test?

I guess i have two questions...
1. Did i add the right amount of muriatic acid, if someone will please check for me. Not positive i am using the chart correctly. I have a 13,800 gal pool. Also how long do i wait until i check it again? Seemed like an awfully small amount to add with a pH that high.

2. What do i check next prior to my bleach start.

Thanks so much all...

Assuming 31.45% MA, looks like 23 oz is correct - I'm seeing it will drop your pH to 7.5. As for retesting, 45 min should be enough to mix and test again.

I'll let the experts help with your next steps, but I'm looking forward to the conversion. Take pictures!!!

Ok sounds great. I checked and yes it is the 31.45%. Thank you for helping and checking the calculations for me.

Also of note...we are going to Lowes bright and early to get our bleach. It is the cheapest i can find around here. So, actually putting the bleach in tomorrow.

I knew the pH had to be right so i thought it a good idea to start getting that corrected tonight.

I will post pics all day tomorrow when we start. As of now, the pics i posted already still look exactly the same....with a couple extra frogs around i'm sure...lol

Thanks again so much for posting ...we are anxious and nervous and excited!!!!!

rechecked and it is still bright pink, doesn't really look like a change at all...so really it is so high i don't even know how high. Last time i put in 24 oz. This time in put in 40 oz. I'll keep trying to get it down and will report back when i get it right and start my bleach.

Thanks all!!!

You have to enter your TA into the calculator to see how much acid to add. If you have a high TA it takes a lot more acid to move the pH. For example, if your TA was 275, it would take 87 oz to drop from 7.8 to 7.2.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Oh wow. Ok. didn't know that. I'm really green and feel really foolish sorta. I know it will all come together and i'll get the hang of this. But yeah, i need every little step of what to do cause i know nada.

Hopefully after it is all said and done i will be able to help others like ya'll are helping me.

I'll figure out how to check that TA and report back this morning....

Thanks!!!!!

Well, i retested the pH and it has indeed come down overnight. It appears to be between 7.5 and 7.8. So added more MA and this will be a total of around 80 oz total. Will recheck and if it is really down there in about an hour...we will run get the bleach and get started. If not, will check the TA.

Does that sound right?

Also of note...it is sprinkling rain today. Would that change the pH or read a false level? Just curious.

Thanks.

If your TA is high, your pH will have a tendency to drift upwards fast. If over 150, I'd go ahead and lower to 7.2 before starting the shocking process to give yourself a bit more play. Once you start shocking, you will not be able to get an accurate pH reading if your FC is over 10, so this is why you want to get it lowered before you start the process.

You're not looking for a specific color, you're just looking for a color change. "Bright pink" might be the final color you're looking for. How many drops before that bright pink stopped changing?

When I test my TA, the center of my sample starts pink first, with the rest staying green. It sorta phases like that for a few drops before the whole thing turns a light pink. Then I know I'm done when the light pink moves to the intense pink/red, and that intense color doesn't change at all.

ohhhhhhhhhh. Gosh. The directions said keep putting in drops till it was red. So...

LOL. Ok i really don't remember. I'll go do it again and check when it turns pink. I'll report back.

Thanks for not charging for this consult...i'd be broke. hahhaha

I have the K-2006 test where TA is supposed to go from Green to Red. Starts out an as the drop hits the green it changes it to an intense pink but quickly goes away. That is the color I am looking for. The drops will do this several times, but always return to green. Then a drop will change it to grey color and the next drop will change it to the red/pink and I consider that my result. I use the instruction for each drop = 25 since I know mine is always high.

Perhaps try the drop = 25 test first since it provides a more abrupt color change and that will give you a better ballpark.

NikiBelle said:
Thanks for not charging for this consult...i'd be broke.

We're all here because we're sick of being gouged by pool stores. Given the amount I have learned here, I am forever in debt to this website and the wonderful users here. My mission is to attempt to help everyone who discovers this site just like I've been helped in the past.

I sooooooo agree with the "being gouged by pool stores". It was really enough to bring me to tears. Thanks ...really. And i will also help people all that i can..once i get the hang of this.

Ok so....

I have the TF-100 XL that i ordered throught he link here on this site.

My instructions said to add drops until it turns red. It never turned red only bright pink.

I retested and here are the results...

Started out green. At 17 drops it turned to a clearish light pink.

At 19 drops it turned a bright pink and never changed from that.

So, my TA is at 190?

Sounds correct. Lower the pH to 7.2 and start the shock process.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.