HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to turn

Re: HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to

It will be very important to continue vacuuming until all the organic waste is off of the bottom of the pool and gone; over the next few days.

[attachment=0:e4iwy6m2]Baq5.jpg[/attachment:e4iwy6m2]

Attachments

• Baq5.jpg
    Baq5.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 119

Plotting the data another way we can look at how her consumed chlorine drops off and how the stir points cause a rise in both consumed chlorine and combined chlorine.

We can calculate the consumed chlorine each hour. This is the difference between her target level of 15 and the actual result taken 1 hour later. This tells us how much free chlorine the pool is using per hour. The goal is to keep this as low as possible while getting the dirt out.

I'm assuming they are up this morning already working hard. Either that or she's already taken her ride to the luny bin...

[attachment=0:3doro879]Baq6.jpg[/attachment:3doro879]

Attachments

• Baq6.jpg
    Baq6.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 110

Hey Niki, I just had a random thought or 2 pop into my head. How many trips in the past week have you made to the recycling center? I thought my guys gave me weird looks when I arrived with a trunkload of bleach bottles. You would probably need a semi to haul all your bottles! Of course I live in a huge town of 873 people, so you probably have curbside pickup, right? They probably take an empty truck to your place and fill it up! :)

Another random thought. Have you looked at any other forms of liquid chlorine? Example: Here 182 oz of walmart bleach is $2.98. If I plug it into the spreadsheet, it's $0.273/active oz. Here Liquid chlorine at Walmart (10% chlorine) comes in a 2-pack of one gallon jugs (128 oz) for $6.47 = $0.253/active oz. So for me it's cheaper and more convenient carrying smaller bottles than the big 182 oz jugs. Keep in mind they come in a 2 pack cardboard box, which is obviously heavier than 1 - 182 oz jug, but they're easier to stack in the car and you don't have to worry about them tipping over as much.

I'm a bit of a chlorine snob (aren't we all??? :) ) If you have an Aldi grocery store around, they have the best price around me. $1.19 for 96 oz which = $.207/active oz, which are smaller bottles, but I'd have twice as many, so I prefer the 2-pack of liquid chlorine. FYI, Aldi only takes cash or debit cards.

Of course this is all subject to the prices in your area, so YMMV.

Just inserting my random 2 cents. Keep up the great work, I'm kind of addicted to this thread! ::epds::

Oh and while we're doing intro's: I'm Matt, a former bacquacil user (not really the previous owner was) and I've been baq free for 4 years now!

Hey all, i'm here....

Stayed up late, couldn't sleep (wonder why)
We are vacuuming and drinking coffee.

Just wanted to update. I'll catch up on the posts and check in, in a bit.

Thanks for all the info!!! When i can process it (after more coffee) i'll report back.

Just call me vacuum pants today. :|

jmborchers said:
I'm assuming they are up this morning already working hard. Either that or she's already taken her ride to the luny bin...

[attachment=0:3267pjrr]Baq6.jpg[/attachment:3267pjrr]

I'm bet you're right. I bet they are vacuuming a ton of stuff out of the pool!

Ok....

So.....

What a morning!!!

Vacuumed like crazy and thankfully, the filter didn't stop up too much. There is still a lot of leaves down there but when the filter would fill up, we would just empty it and go again, i didn't loose suction this time, so that was a blessing. I'm shocked at how many leaves are down there. Prior to starting the conversion, i bought that leaf catcher and did that thing for days until i wasn't getting any. They must have just been floating around in that green mess.

Oh and at one point my vacuum came off the pole and i thought "oh dear god, i will never find it in this green stuff". We fished and fished. Still didn't find it. So i had one of those moments. I could have either had yet another melt down or rose to the occasion. I rose. I jumped in that dad gum pool and found it, reattached it to the pole and vacuumed the pool with me in it!!! It was much easier. IF i stepped on something, i would just suck it up. Only seen one dead frog in the process. Not to bad for a princess. I'll have my melt down later.

So, i went all the way across the floor 2x the first round and 2x the second round. There is still stuff there. So i will just vacuum all day long and not add bleach. Sound like a plan? Because if i add bleach i will just waste it out when i'm vacuuming. I've lost a LOT of water it is down past the return. Right now i'm filling the pool back up to go for round three.

How do ya'll think i'm doing?

I agree with kdubya815 that jmborchers' charts are amazing. Not sure i fully understand them, but i'm thinking the peeps here do and they are a definite asset to this pool with no bottom that i own.

Jenson (Matt) thank you for posting. I will definitely try getting Wal-Marts liquid chlorine next time. Thanks for the info!!!!!

I have showered and am in dry clothes drinking coffee at the moment. I need to get as much done today as possible. Tomorrow me and my son both go back to work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

No need to add chlorine until the waste is all picked up otherwise the chlorine will just be wasted on it. But if you go too long without chlorine algae will start to grow it is a catch 22.

Before jumping in again I would add chlorine to sterilze the water an hour before getting into the pool 10 FC should do the trick any FC in an unknown water condition would be good. Avoid swallowing the water, getting it into your ears, nose or eyes. I would do this if it were me but I would also assume the water could be poisonous, but I wouldn't be afraid of it either.

When I saw your pool pics of how many trees you had around I figured there was a lot of leaves in there. Leaves and a dead frog explain cloudiness that wasn't getting better.

Since on your first and second pass you caught most of the leaves the next time and the strainer wasn't clogging too bad it's probably going to be okay to use the filter instead of the waste for vacuum. Then you won't have to add water again.

It would be nice to see of pic of where it stands too.

Here's what I would do, for what it's worth. I would let the filter run for a couple hours, then vacuum again. It sounds like you got a ton of nasty out already this morning, so I would vacuum just to filter, not waste and see how far you get before you lose suction. If it seems to be working well that way, keep vacuuming to the filter. Then after you're done vacuuming, give it a good brush down and let it settle again.

I'm not sure how your return jet is pointing, mine is pointing slightly downward and makes the water flow slightly counter-clockwise. This keeps the 1/3 to 1/4 of the pool bottom pretty clean and the "gunk" tends to collect in the center of the pool and to the left half of the return jet (my kids call it the whirlpool effect). Maybe you will have a pile of gunk in the middle too. Try vacuuming there and see what you get.

Remember to adjust your chlorine percent in the pool calculator if you end up getting the liquid chlorine as it's a higher %, you won't need to use as much to raise to 15 ppm.

Glad you didn't find any dead bodies in your green mess :) You can do it! I was also wondering, the hose came off the vacuum head too right, not just the pole? ;) I've had to pull my vacuum in before with the hose after it fell off.

I don't think i'm gonna get back into the pool next time. I sorta wanted to feel how much crud was in there, since i was already in there, but i'm done with that exploration. I will do it from the sides now. I sure don't want that algae starting again, thanks for the reminder. I'll start up with the bleach this afternoon again.

Here is some pics i took just now....

100_1402.jpg

100_1403.jpg

Jenson said:
Here's what I would do, for what it's worth. I would let the filter run for a couple hours, then vacuum again. It sounds like you got a ton of nasty out already this morning, so I would vacuum just to filter, not waste and see how far you get before you lose suction. If it seems to be working well that way, keep vacuuming to the filter. Then after you're done vacuuming, give it a good brush down and let it settle again.

I'm not sure how your return jet is pointing, mine is pointing slightly downward and makes the water flow slightly counter-clockwise. This keeps the 1/3 to 1/4 of the pool bottom pretty clean and the "gunk" tends to collect in the center of the pool and to the left half of the return jet (my kids call it the whirlpool effect). Maybe you will have a pile of gunk in the middle too. Try vacuuming there and see what you get.

Remember to adjust your chlorine percent in the pool calculator if you end up getting the liquid chlorine as it's a higher %, you won't need to use as much to raise to 15 ppm.

Glad you didn't find any dead bodies in your green mess :) You can do it! I was also wondering, the hose came off the vacuum head too right, not just the pole? ;) I've had to pull my vacuum in before with the hose after it fell off.

Ok sounds good to me. My jet is sort pointed straight ahead i think. Can you turn those to point downward? And yes my gunk was in the very center. That's why when i have been brushing i didn't reach it because it is dead center and my arms weren't long enough. (or my pole). When i was walking around the perimeter it felt fine and actually clean for the most part.

The center was a complete mess of stuff.

Barely. But if i stretch i can. My son can easy and did so this morning until i jumped in. I'll just have to stretch it this afternoon and pray i don't fall in. LOL

When i vacuum again, I'll take more pics of what is coming out. Right now i'm letting it settle again and just filtering normally.

Oh and one good thing i notice and something that is a HUGE difference from when we first started this.....I did not see any algae at all. No granulation of greenish nothing. Just chocolate water with leaves. That's gotta be a good sign.

NikiBelle said:
Ok sounds good to me. My jet is sort pointed straight ahead i think. Can you turn those to point downward? .

I can change the direction of my port. On the inside of my pool around the jet, it unscrews and I can change the angle fairly easily, I'm assuming yours is probably the same too. Then you can adjust the direction of the flow, just position the "eyeball" where you want it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.