I am working on getting my pool swim-able and 2 weeks ago when I got the water tested at a leslie's my CYA was at 60 and the chlonine level was low. Recently about a week ago I noticed some algae so I added 5lbs of pool-time shock plus to kill all the algae and hopefully have enough chlorine to last a week. About 5 days later i checked the chlorine and it was at 0 so i started wondering if the CYA was too high and causing the chlorine not to work properly. After reading many websites i am convinced not to use pool time shock plus because it will increase the CYA levels and the safest way would be to use liquid chlorine. So i added about a gallon of liquid chlorine last night and my chlorine level today is about 8ppm too high and CYA at 25 according to leslies.
Everything i have read in the past points out that CYA cannot be lowered unless is drained partially/completely depending on the LEVELS. Now my concern is how come leslies test shows that my CYA is at 25 when two weeks ago was about 60. Is this possible?
The pool looks great but I dont know how long the chlorine will last in the water. I always thought chlorine should last about a week. I will test the water daily to see how fast is being consumed. Its been about 90 degrees and the pool is in direct sun almost all day so I know that plays a part in the chlorine.
I feel like I always have algae problems so I just starting using leslies pool perfect plus phos-free to hopefully lower the levels of phosphate in pool and control algae.
I was told by leslies to add conditioner in my pool to bring the levels up but I am concerned this will actually cause a problem.
What should I do????